Corydoras fry dying, normal amount?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Corydoras fry dying, normal amount?

Post by Woodh »

Woke up to two dead metae "fry"(in reality they are over a month old so not sure what to call them), that makes for 5 spotted deaths in total out of 14 fish so I have at best 9 left, 7 in a breederbox and 2 might still be alive in the parents tank. I did expect some losses but lately they have been growing fine and it was one of the most well developed ones that was found dead now.

Just wish to be able to raise a handful or so and this is getting abit worrying/disheartening. I guess it's also something one learns to deal with but since I am new to having fry etc the deaths hit harder than they should I suppose.

Considering emptying the breeding box into the tank since I am sure the young ones are large enough to survive in there but I am not sure if it's better or worse for having a chance of chances of keeping atleast some alive.

Any input?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Corydoras fry dying, normal amount?

Post by bekateen »

Sorry for your loss. Yes fry die, but not as often at the age you mention. I would release them in the parents' tank.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

Did so, at this rate id consider it a success if I get a single adult cory out of them. Have alot of problems with my tanks at the moment it feels like, had a Bristlenose(grown up) just randomly die ifront of my eyes, problems with the cory fry, L397 fry/eggs just gone and a L397 got injured odontes(think he got beat up by another male). Still can't see anything wrong when measuring ammonia, nitrates etc and no signs of any particular disease as far as I can tell.

Well moving in about a month so guess ill have to try and make the best of it and maybe see that as a fresh start.
Woodh

Post by Woodh »

The fry keep dying, think there are only 6-7 left since I found one dead today, quite easy to spot them since the snails eat on them. Might be they are just not very healthy from the get go? Have had my concerns about some of the older metaes since I got them more or less.

If anybody got any ideas I can test I am all ears, today I took the sponge from my most mature tank and simply squeezed it into the cory tank to add some(alot is probably the right word) additional mulm, can't see how it will make things worse(unless my larger corys also start to drop off of course -_-).

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”