What woodcats are being bred by pc members?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Catfish-ologist
My articles: 1
My images: 3
My cats species list: 56 (i:4, k:31)
My aquaria list: 14 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:4, p:205)
My Wishlist: 46
Spotted: 94
Location 1: Alabama
Location 2: USA
Interests: Auchenipteridae, Hypancistrus, and other Catfish.

What woodcats are being bred by pc members?

Post by Catfish-ologist »

Hello, I want this to be an informational thread with people sharing their breeding experiences with members of the family Auchenipteridae. I can't wait to know what others are breeding and or keeping. :d

Personally i have had great success with woodcats. I currently keep 12+ species but only 4 are breeding. These include Tatia intermedia, Duringlanis perugiae, Duringlanis romani, and my favorite, Tatia strigata.

My T. intermedia females lay eggs every six weeks so with 5 females they are one of my largest producers. I only have 1 male and WC intermedia's are hard to come by so only about 1/3 batches are fertile. I have noticed that intermedia's have the greatest amount of eggs about 200 eggs/spawn. They are quite easy to raise with roughly 30 fry surviving per spawn. The D. perugiae are the easiest by far, the females lay eggs monthly roughly 50 of them and 90% of them hatch. To tell the truth I have never found a dead perugiae fry, every single one that has hatched is still alive. They are the easiest to raise and the easiest to get eggs from, just in the 2 weeks my group of 3 females and 1 male were in qt they spawned 2 times! The romani are tricky though not the eggs the fry. I get a spawn every 3 days from my romani group of 8! they lay ~30 eggs of which 10 hatch and 5 might survive thank goodness I have such a large group or I wouldn't have as many fry! The strigata are by far the hardest and the most beautiful! my group of 7 strigata lay eggs weekly. with laying ~40 eggs they have quite a small yield about the size 5 after die off. Honestly if anyone wants to know the secret to breeding woodcats it is having SOFT water and keeping up with the weekly water changes. Sadly I have no fish old enough to bring to CatCon, but I will have lots for the cataclysm 2023. Also I will make breeding reports here soon I just need better photos.
My other woodcat's for those wondering include:
T. gyrina
T. galaxias (true fish from locale)
T. aff. simplex
T. crypticia
D. altae
S. moijiri
T. musaica
A. batrachus.
Always looking out for more species and more fish to add to my current groups so contact me if you have anything cool.
Oh I'm only gonna get 1 tank for 1 catfish...(every time I see a catfish)! - Sean Hensley 2021

There may be limited space for catfish tanks but there is unlimited space for catfish knowledge. - Sean Hensley 2022

Everyone has limits. not everyone accepts them. - Anonymous
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: What woodcats are being bred by pc members?

Post by bekateen »

Hi Catfish-ologist,

I'm currently keeping
Over the summer I caught (probably Trachelyopterus cf. galeatus) in Peru, which should be shipped back to the USA soon.

Currently, nothing is breeding for me, but in the past I've bred the A. coracoideus and T. exilis.

I also used to breed , which, as you've found, are prolific breeders. For years I was keeping , but I lost the last of those a few months ago, and last year I brought back five from Peru, but they died one at a time over months, never seeming to settle into my tank well. :-(
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

I would like to see my woodcats spawn. I have T. Intermedia, T. Gyrina, and T. musaica.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
Catfish-ologist

Wow! I guess I am a little luckier than I thought!
Oh I'm only gonna get 1 tank for 1 catfish...(every time I see a catfish)! - Sean Hensley 2021

There may be limited space for catfish tanks but there is unlimited space for catfish knowledge. - Sean Hensley 2022

characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:9)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

Hi All,

Im Keeping:
  • Tatia intermedia
  • Tatia gyrina
  • Trachelyichthys exilis
I have bred T. intermedia approx 10 times and I've sold plenty of fry, and usually get survival rates in the 20-40% rate, like others have mentioned. I have figured out how to get hatch rates close to 90%, but then getting them to 2-3 weeks old is where I have my losses. After 1 month, they are easy and also no losses.

Still working on breeding T gyrina and T exilis, from reading this thread sounds like lots more water changes are needed!
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
Catfish-ologist

Since my last post I have bred D. altae, and S. moijiri! Both of these are very exciting... I have officially bred all 3 described Duringlanis and I am the first person in the US to spawn moijiri. The altae are developing nicely and are over 3 weeks old. The Spinipterus spawned today the eggs need more time to develop but they might be fertile. I know bekateen and a few others have kept these for years and have had no luck, I have only had mine for 1.5 months. Sadly Ian Wallbridge beat me to the worlds first by less than a year, but I am very happy to have his data as reference material.
My true T. galaxias from the locale seem to be eating more and more everyday, they are fattening up. I wouldn't be surprised if they were next.
Thanks,
-- Sean
(Wood-cat species spawned count 6)

bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Hi Sean,

Your moijiri spawned? That's terrific! Congratulations (and on the altae).

Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

@catfish-ologist - do you have any photos of your T.galaxias? I've seen them for sale so many times but they have always been T.intermedia, so would be great to know they can be found! Though appreciate you're in the US!
Catfish-ologist

Hi Martin, below is a photo of my fish. I want to clarify something about galaxias. There is almost no true T. galaxias in the hobby because there are not many fish exports out of Venezuela. There is quite a lot of confusion with the intermedia complex of fishes in general. I personally believe that this "complex" consists of dozens of species that should be placed in their own genus. Sadly, my opinion is very lengthy so I do plan to eventually write a paper on it. Also true T. galaxias is not publicly available in the US. I got my group from a private dealer who exported a small number from the locale and I bought every single one. These fish are quite interesting and they behave like T. intermedia. I included a photo of one of my T. intermedia for reference. Just look at the caudal fin and see the morphological differences it is quite astounding.
T. galaxias
T. galaxias
T. Intermedia
T. Intermedia

Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Thanks for responding. Hopefully the has darkened up and look like the photos in the Cat-eLog. Hopefully you managed to get at least one M/F pair?
Catfish-ologist

Yes, they don't look exactly like the ones in the Cat-eLog, but they usually have the darker colors of the intermedia this one was stressed in the photo box so it was pale. I was actually able to get 3 Males and 3 Females.

characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:9)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

Noticed an interesting thing that happened in my fish room this morning. I have a group of 5 wild T.intermedia and have raised fry and traded them to local stores over the last couple years. I have a 10G that has 13 young from a spawn approx 12 months ago that are growing out well. Low and behold when i went to feed them this morning there was a ball of eggs at the front of the tank. These are probably 2 -2 1/2 inches long and about 1/2 the size of the original parents (who look like they will spawn again in the coming weeks).
I dont remember the size of the parents when they first spawned, but I was surprised that these spawned at a smaller size than I had anticipated.
Guess what I have learnt is that with the right conditions they can spawn smaller and younger than expected!
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

characinkid wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 21:19 Noticed an interesting thing that happened in my fish room this morning. I have a group of 5 wild T.intermedia and have raised fry and traded them to local stores over the last couple years. I have a 10G that has 13 young from a spawn approx 12 months ago that are growing out well. Low and behold when i went to feed them this morning there was a ball of eggs at the front of the tank. These are probably 2 -2 1/2 inches long and about 1/2 the size of the original parents (who look like they will spawn again in the coming weeks).
I dont remember the size of the parents when they first spawned, but I was surprised that these spawned at a smaller size than I had anticipated.
Guess what I have learnt is that with the right conditions they can spawn smaller and younger than expected!
Most excellent. I've had the same experience with L201, a few Corydoras species and clown plecos.

Cheers, Eric
Catfish-ologist

This is great to see! I have been quite surprised with how young wood cats can spawn myself.
My S. Moijiri US First spawn came from a group of fish that are about half-sized and must be about a year old. I have found with the right water almost all wood cats will spawn even those regarded as "near impossible" My group of T. aff. Simplex from the Rio Xingu are fattening up fast, even though it would be a world's first the chances of it happening in the next year for me seem very high. IF I had the space and budget I would spawn D. perugiae at very high-levels you can have 2 fish spawning one year and then by next year you can have 200 spawning, that is the great thing about wood cats their yields are high. (almost too high)
-- Sean
(Update: I am now also keeping T. wallacei and A. punctatus)

Martin S

Post by Martin S »

@Catfish-ologist - good luck with the - be interested to find out how you do with these as they can sometimes be difficult to maintain in aquaria. I had one many years ago that lasted for little over a year, then died for no apparent reason, even though it was feeding regularly on live river shrimp and earthworms. They don't seem to take well to dry food, or pellets.
Great to see some photos of these
Thanks
Martin
Catfish-ologist

Hey martin, I have had mine for almost a month and they are eating great! They have been devouring Ghost-shrimp and neon tetras I have a video of one ambushing a neon that I will share soon. I know most people struggle with them however mine seem to be doing just fine. The Shoeheads and the lone A. Punctatus all live in a 40b and they seem to get along.
I'm very happy with this species and I can't wait to work with it. If anyone has any tips to share that would be greatly appreciated.
-- Sean

Martin S

Post by Martin S »

I know the original author of this post (Marc van Arc) kept the same species, though pretty sure he's no longer present on PC. Please do share any photos or video, but be aware not everyone agrees with feeding live fish. I fully appreciate it can be the only option in some cases, but totally accept that not everyone agrees.
Martin

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”