L134 Feeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
greenmonkey51
Location 1: Nebraska

L134 Feeding

Post by greenmonkey51 »

I’ve got a 75g that I setup for a group of wild L134’s. I’ve got 6 total, no ideas on sex ratios yet. I had a group of G.sveni with them but lost them due to a heater incident which the L134 seemingly weren’t bothered. I’ve fed NLS grow, Kens meat wafers, frozen mysis and bloodworms. I’m going to mix in some algae wafers and repashy invertivore. Anybody got recommendations on specific brands they’re using. I like Kens, but they do get a bit soft quickly.

The group is likely doing good eating wise, but I get nervous with hypancistrus eating.
-jeff-
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:15)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 16
Location 1: United States
Location 2: New bedford Massachusetts

Re: L134 Feeding

Post by -jeff- »

Well as I also have a wild group of 6 mine enjoy Ken's, omega one, repashy, raw shrimp and zucchini 😁
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

When I kept P. compta I feed them the same diet as my B&W Hypans.

1. Frozen--> blood worms, brine shrimp, brine ship gut loaded w/ spirulina, mysis shrimp, daphnia. Fry get cylops and rotifers plus daphnia.
2. Repashy--> Bottom Scratcher, Spawn & Grow and Igapo Explorer. I mix the B S and S&G with about 20% Soilent Green. This insures the kids get their veggies. I have even experiment mixing them all into a single food.
3. kenfish- this is the lowest quality of the foods I feed and try to limit this to a max of 15% of the time. I feed his sinking sticks both full size and minis and I make my own bleny: Earthworm, Brine shrimp, Blood worm, Black worm, Veggie, Mysis and sometime soldier fly larvae as well.

When I am doing things right I try to feed frozen and Repashy 80%-85% of the time. But they take the most time to prepare and feed. Repashy is the longest time as I gut it into smaller pieces and scatter them throughout the tank. Frozen is next as it need to be mixed and defrosted. Ken's stuff is quicker by a long shot compared to the other two. But years back I fell into the convenience factor and my fish slowly stopped spawning anywhere near as much. Diet matters a lot.

Finally. if one can and will do it, live foods are still the best options. I have neither the space nor the inclination to do live.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
fishyfish00
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:2, p:68)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Malmö

Post by fishyfish00 »

I would be careful feeding bloodworms too often, have sadly lost some fish that way. Not saying it's wrong to feed but just be aware of the risks :) On another note I feed my breeding colony Mainly Dr. Bassler and Tropical Hi-protein xxl discs. Works wonders for the adults and keeps the water quality prestine!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”