Peppered Cory sick - balance and erratic swimming

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
S3RG3
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia

Peppered Cory sick - balance and erratic swimming

Post by S3RG3 »

Water parameters
a) T 25-27c
b) pH 6.8
c) GH 25
d) KH 80
e) Conductivity or TDS (if GH and KH aren't provided)
f) Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite levels (Most LFS's will check your water and give a list of readings) - 10 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite, Ammonia - Unknown
g) Water change frequency - Once a week (30-40%)
h) "Routine" water treatments (e.g, chlorine/chloramine or ammonia neutralizers; pH or hardness adjustments, anti-stress chemicals, tank-cycling bacterial mixes). - pH/KH adjustment, salts, chlorine/chloramine with water changes

2. Tank set up
a) Size - 200l
b) Substrate - Sand
c) Filtration - Aquis 700
d) Furnishings - Lots of plants and some skulls
e) Other tank mates - Corys, Clown Loaches, Angelfish, Rainbow Sharks, a couple of betas
f) How long has it been set-up? - 2-3 years
g) Food used and frequency - Twice a day, small amount of pellets + flakes
h) Recent changes in the tank which occurred shortly before the disease/problem appeared (if any; e.g., changes in water source or water treatment, changes in decorations or substrate, replacement or changes of hardware (filters, heaters, etc.), and additions or removals of live plants or live fish)
- No major changes in the tank... Cleaned and washed filter substrate in tank water.

3. Symptoms / Problem description or history

My Corydora has been sick for about 10 days already - he is laying on the side every hour or so and swimming erratically once every so often.
Eating somewhat ok but lost quite a bit of weight recently...

Please see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8V0wokNQFs

Any ideas on how to treat the little guy would be greatly appreciated!!! Hate to see him like this every day =((

4. Action taken (if any)

I ran a course of anti-bacterial Seachem Melafix for a week which didn't help. I also changed water for 25% two or three times, which didn't help. Water parameters all fine and all other fish are feeling fine.

I just bought a quarantine float mini tank and planning to quarantine him, feeding him peas to decongest. Unsure if that will work, but I read it could help if it's related to congestion issues and swim bladder disease.

5. Medications used (if any) / changes in fish observed since treatment began (if any)

No changes in fish behaviour, still laying down lethargic, often on the side + erratic outbursts

Thank you all for your guidance!!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”