Believe I have accidentally bought two different species of corydoras

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Trilibabs
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Ontario

Believe I have accidentally bought two different species of corydoras

Post by Trilibabs »

Hello all as the title says I believe I accidentally bought c.trilineatus and c.leopardus I think this because two of my corydoras have short snouts and two have longer snouts, I blame the LFS for giving them the same names on the tanks but it’s my blunder for not looking into the different species. Does this pose a problem? because I wanted to try my hand at breeding corydoras so I was aiming at keeping 8 of one species in a 40b and moving the eggs I find into new tanks (just moving the eggs cause i’m not trying to mass produce them just get some extra pocket money) any help is very much appreciated. b-) /:)
Attachments
FA1C3E54-9D5E-4DE4-87F9-F7A0D1BFC165.jpeg
701DBC34-E172-401C-94CC-F9506D9AEFD4.jpeg
Last edited by Trilibabs on 22 Oct 2022, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Trilibabs

Re: Believe I have accidentally bought two different species of corydora

Post by Trilibabs »

Just wanted to put it out there I know the complications and hazards of hybridization and crossbreeding and I don’t intend to go there so would I be better off choosing just one species of 8 or getting 6 of both species (whatever two different species are agreed upon by the comments)?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Trilibabs,

Welcome to Planetcatfish!

Looking at your photos, yes, I agree you got two species: and (Corydoras cf. leopardus).

It is very common for exporters and importers to mix C102 with C. trilineatus, so that when local fish stores order C. trilineatus, the store receives a mixed group.

You can keep these two species together. The C. trilineatus are easy to breed but the C102 are not so easy. The two species will hang out together, but the probability of cross-breeding is very low since they are in different lineages.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I don't think it's too much of a problem - Corydoras from lineages far apart don't hybridize commonly.

Hope that helps,

Jools

PS Corydoras has an invariant plural. So, you say one Corydoras or five Corydoras (like sheep, deer etc). You may wish to edit your topic title.
Trilibabs

Post by Trilibabs »

bekateen wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:30 Hi Trilibabs,

Welcome to Planetcatfish!

Looking at your photos, yes, I agree you got two species: and (Corydoras cf. leopardus).

It is very common for exporters and importers to mix C102 with C. trilineatus, so that when local fish stores order C. trilineatus, the store receives a mixed group.

You can keep these two species together. The C. trilineatus are easy to breed but the C102 are not so easy. The two species will hang out together, but the probability of cross-breeding is very low since they are in different lineages.

Cheers, Eric
Thanks so much Eric, I’m surprised I was able to identify the difference in species as these are my first corydoras ever, would you think 6 and 6 in a 40b would be okay then?
Trilibabs

Post by Trilibabs »

Jools wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:34 I don't think it's too much of a problem - Corydoras from lineages far apart don't hybridize commonly.

Hope that helps,

Jools

PS Corydoras has an invariant plural. So, you say one Corydoras or five Corydoras (like sheep, deer etc). You may wish to edit your topic title.
Hi Jools thank you so much for the response I believe I have correctly edited my posts.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Trilibabs wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:56Thanks so much Eric, I’m surprised I was able to identify the difference in species as these are my first corydoras ever, would you think 6 and 6 in a 40b would be okay then?
Yes, that would be fine.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “What is my catfish?”