Leaf Litter Loricariidae

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Leaf Litter Loricariidae

Post by naturalart »

Does anyone know of any of the smaller loricariids that prefer living in leaf litter?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Leaf Litter Loricariidae

Post by bekateen »

Hi Clay,

Juveniles of many loricariid species live among the leaf litter; I've caught baby Ancistrus, Lasiancistrus and Panaqolus when sifting leaf litter in Peru. I've also caught subadults of two local Iquitos area Rineloricaria in leaf litter, but those species aren't available in the hobby usually.

Good luck finding a species that really suits your goals. :-)
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Thanks for the info Eric, another possibility will be Banjo cats.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

is a good one. If not plecos, then also any of the forest Corys, so is a good one.

Jools
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Thanks Jools, the L. brinidellii is excellent, but a bit too big for the 40g they would be going into. The C. elegans is a good suggestion, are there any other forest cories I could be looking at?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Rio Santo Domingo, Cojedes State 7 April 2001
In its lower course the Santo Domingo is called a Rio while the upper portion is reffered to as Cano Santo Domingo. The exact collecting location was on the dirt road that leads west from highway 8 at Cano Benito approximately 40km north of El Baul. Since it is the dry season, the Santo Domingo is not a river anymore, but a series of unconnected pools. We collected from a pool under the bridge and turned up some very interesting fish. The pH was measured at 7.0 and the conductivity at 1,100 mu. The temperature was about 84F and the water had almost no visibility. In a glass container the water was the color of weak tea. This area is northern most range of Apistogramma macmasteri. The substrate was thick leaf litter and driftwood with no aquatic plants.

Collecting the leaf litter turned up

Corydoras aeneus "black"
Corydoras septentrionalis
Corydoras habrosus (thousands!)
Small banjo cats
Rineloricaria (1 specimen)
Otocinclus (thousands!)
Trichomycterids (at least 2 spp)
Two spp. of small auchenipterids
Small Pimelodus
Collecting around larger pieces of driftwood we encountered:

Hypoptopoma sp.
Hypostomus plecostomus
It was possible with one sweep of a ten foot seine to capture 200 Otocinclus and / or C. habrosus (the two were always mixed). The two auchenipetrids were also very common and we thought we only had one sp. as the color patterns are very similar. Only later did we realize that one has a dorsal and adipose fin and the other only has a small single dorsal spine with no adipose. We also turned up a number of interesting tetras to include some beautiful hatchetfish. The prime predators in the pools were large Hoplias. The water was so full of fishes that it seemed to boil, especially when a large school of Corydoras came up for air at one time. Norbert and I joked that it would be impossible to fill a tank with dead leaves, heat it to 84F, throw in a few old cans, and place about two inches of fish to every gallon. If you tried to replicate this environment exactly, it would be cruelty to animals!

The biotope:
This would be an easy and attractive tank to maintain. The other nice thing is that most of the fish are readily available. Lay down a substrate of about 3/4 inch fine sand. Cover this with two inches of old oak leaves. Along the back and the sides, place several pieces of driftwood. A long shallow tank (such as a 20 long) would be ideal. We caught C. habrosus and Otocinclus in 2-3 inches of water. Filtration should be very gentle such as that provided by a sponge filter. Throw in some 4-5 Apistogramma macmasteri, 10-15 C. habrosus (or smaller groups of the larger corys), 3 - 4 banjo cats, and top it off with some hatchet tetras.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Thanks for the info Shane, and that was a great story. Really painted the picture of a smaller dry-season creek (or "cano"?). I have most of those things you mentioned already in place but this tank is an attempt at breeding a rare tetra (Hyphessobrycon jackrobertsi). The group is wild-caught so fairly skittish and let's plenty of food hit the bottom (the excuse to get another cat). I'm glad you mentioned C. habrosus, I was definitely considering that species. I also saw a couple of nice banjo cats at the LFS yesterday. My only concern, now that I've got a working list of cats to choose from, is which cat would be the least efficient in finding the eggs the tetras will scatter into the plants and leaves? I'm thinking the banjo cats, any other opinions?
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Woodh »

Interesting info there Shane!
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Post by sturiosoma »

Did someone say leaf litter one of my female rineloricaria lanceolata
Attachments
DSCN0559.JPG
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

sturiosoma wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 21:43 Did someone say leaf litter one of my female rineloricaria lanceolata
@sturisoma, based on the color pattern of the dorsal fin and head, this is not . I think it's .

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Post by sturiosoma »

Eric once again you are right I did not take a good look at dorsal it is eigenmanni, and a few more photos, last photo theres 2 one near corner

Jeanne
Attachments
DSCN0588.JPG
DSCN0586.JPG
DSCN0582.JPG
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

@sturisoma, think nothing of it. :-)

By the way, your photos show both males and females (your initial photo is of a female; the three photos showing the most obvious fish in the leaves is of a male). Do you have any sexy time going on among them? Never mind. I see your breeding report. The answer is obviously yes! Congratulations! :-)

Cheers, Eric

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”