Redefining Pareuchiloglanis

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Redefining Pareuchiloglanis

Post by Silurus »

Li, X, W Dao & W Zhou, 2022. Redefinition of the glyptosternine genus Pareuchiloglanis (Teleostei: Sisoridae), with descriptions of three new genera. Journal of Fish Biology doi:10.1111/jfb.15239.

Abstract

The genus Pareuchiloglanis (Sisoridae) contains 20 valid species and 5 species with uncertain taxonomic status. Previous morphological and molecular studies indicated that Pareuchiloglanis was non‐monophyletic; nonetheless, no change was made to correct the taxonomy of the genus. Therefore, the authors conducted a systematic morphological comparison and molecular phylogenetic study on Pareuchiloglanis. The results showed that Pareuchiloglanis is a polyphyletic group. Species previously identified as Pareuchiloglanis can be divided into four groups, of which Pareuchiloglanis poilanei alone has the genus name Pareuchiloglanis. The remaining three groups of species are contained within new genera named Barbeuchiloglanis, Sineuchiloglanis and Tremeuchiloglanis. Each genus has a distinct distribution that does not cross or overlap. The molecular results supported the reliability of morphological classification and indicated that the four genera were not directly related to one another. Specifically, Sineuchiloglanis and Tremeuchiloglanis shared no recent common ancestor. In contrast, Sineuchiloglanis formed a sister group with Chimarrichthys, and Tremeuchiloglanis formed a sister group with Creteuchiloglanis and Pseudexostoma.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Redefining Pareuchiloglanis

Post by Jools »

If I could get a PDF of this work I will update the cat-eLog, or once it appears on a CoF update I will then eventually catch this.

Thanks for posting,

Jools
Narelle
I've donated: $42.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:4, k:4)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:38)
My Wishlist: 133
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Re: Redefining Pareuchiloglanis

Post by Narelle »

Jools wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 12:51 If I could get a PDF of this work I will update the cat-eLog, or once it appears on a CoF update I will then eventually catch this.

Thanks for posting,

Jools
Got this one for you too. 👍
Huge fan and collector of Bagrid catfishes.
Graduate student, studying systematic ichthyology.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”