Plecos and discus

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
wuvarien
Location 1: Surrey, UK
Location 2: surrey

Plecos and discus

Post by wuvarien »

Did a search and the last post I found on this was back from 2010, so looking for some more recent info :)

I have a 700L discus tank and looking to add a pleco for algae control. I have a Golden Nugget in another tank, and was thinking of getting another one for the discus tank.

I hear horror stories of plecos trying to eat the slime off the discus, but I plan to keep it well fed!

Thanks for any advice
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Re: Plecos and discus

Post by fishguy1978 »

Yes, it does happen. I kept discus and tried adding a farlowella and it would chase the discus trying to eat their slime coat. I realize it’s not a pleco but same behavior concern.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

wuvarien wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 22:09 Did a search and the last post I found on this was back from 2010, so looking for some more recent info :)
Discus and Plecos haven't changed much since 2010. What, specifically, are you looking to find out?

Which species of ~1000 plecos is a good start. You could also read the gold nugget article on why that's not a great idea for discus. Ancistrus and larger Hypoptopomatinae that can appreciate higher temps are a good idea. What else depends on how well you are keeping your discus - tank size, decor, filtration and so on. Scobinancistrus, for example, work well in a higher temp/DO situation.

Jools
wuvarien

Post by wuvarien »

There is a wood and plants in the tank. Only fish in it are Discus, with soon to be Tetra as well. The Tank is 700L filtrated by FX6's

I'm just after opinions what what Pleco would work best with the Discus as an Algae eater... I know the popular choice is a Bristlenose, however I'm not too keen on those and so was wondering what options I had.

I'll have a look at the article!
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

If you return the water to the tank from the FX6 with a spray bar or two (pointed straight down so doesn't generate much current) then you'll get a decent amount of DO. In that case you have a wider range of plecos you can keep.

That said, truly, you should not really have any algae of note in a discus tank - certainly not enough to feed anything larger than a Bristlenose. Why don't you post a few pictures or a video of your set-up?

Cheers,

Jools

PS Here's a video of an old set-up of mine with discus and plecos etc. Ran that for about 6 years.
Captainandy
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Boston
Location 2: Massachusetts

Post by Captainandy »

Gold nuggets don’t eat algae.
I keep a variety of plecos in my discus tanks. 173s yellow chubbies, 397 136b/c
None eat algae - most are omnivores

I have never seen a pleco latch onto a discus or any suction marks on discus
wuvarien

Post by wuvarien »

I have very little algae, it's just to maintain the spots at the back of tanks glass as it's hard to reach due to the size.

Aside from Bristlenose, what Pleco would you suggest to help out?
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Could you post some pics of the set-up, then we can get a better idea. Anything that takes out what I think you are describing will destroy plants.

Jools
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Jools wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 11:34 PS Here's a video of an old set-up of mine with discus and plecos etc. Ran that for about 6 years.
Those were my discus! Great to see them :)

Return to “Tank Talk”