Meet Chewy

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Meet Chewy

Post by Shane »

Meet Chewy. My only pet catfish. She was a "rescue" a year and a half ago and named by Jools. For size comparison... that wafer is 2.5 cm (just over 1").
She will eat from my hand and swims to the front of the tank when she hears me in the fishroom.
-Shane
Attachments
20230103_184409.jpg
20230103_184505.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Meet Chewy

Post by bekateen »

That fish is big!
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Chewy is chonky. Great fun fish!

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Time to upgrade as Chewy has outgrown her current tank and a recent accident gave me a good scare.

Over the weekend I was fiddling with the sponge filters in my 10 gallon tanks. I must have given the airline to Chewy's tank a slight tug. At some point between Sunday night and Monday afternoon the blower blew her airline off its connection leaving her with no aeration or filtration. She was very still in a corner of the tank and showed no interest in eating (which NEVER happens). I added a powerhead to bring O2 levels up and serve as a fail safe in the future. With a fish of this mass there is little room for errors. Never have a single point of failure. By the next morning she was behaving normally and eating.

The good news is that the accident also made me realize it was time for an upgrade. By lucky coincidence My local Petco was having a tank sale and I was able to snag a new 75 gallon (48.5" x 18.5" x 21") for $123. Not bad! I was out the door with the tank and top glass for $200. Stephen Tanner actually took a few minutes from his vacation in Hawaii to work out the filtration system with me. Should have it up and running in the next few weeks.

Chewy is in the top left tank. It's clear she has outgrown it!
-Shane
Attachments
20230122_174700.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Good save, Shane. That would have been a painful tragedy. Glad it ended so well.

Only $123 for a new 75 gallon tank? Dang! I recently bought a used 75 gallon tank for $100 and was pleased with the price, until I found out late the plastic frame was cracked both on a top corner and on a bottom corner. AFAIK, no way to repair that safely other than buying new frames. This tank went out in a greenhouse, so if it bursts, at least I don't destroy the house.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Eric,
I am honestly not sure that the frame on a 75 gallon provides any type of structural support. There are warnings on my new tank to never lift it by the frame (which tells me it is not attached well).

You might find that you can solve your issue by removing the plastic frame and using silicone to create a glass brace or two across the top. This will keep the water pressure from causing the top of the tank to spread over time and split the corner seems. I seem to remember most tanks in Europe having this design with no plastic frame at all.
-Shane
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Thanks Shane. (even so, for $23 more, I would have jumped at a new tank over a used one, even if the frame wasn't cracked).

Cheers, Eric
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Made a little progress on Chewy's new set up today. She will upgrade from 40 gallons (151 liters) to 75 gallons (283 liters) but more importantly her filtration will be three times as effective as it is now.
-Shane
Attachments
20230205_161503.jpg
AmazonTank
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:1)
My Wishlist: 2
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Miami Lakes
Location 2: San Diego
Interests: Gulper Cats, Chaca Chaca Archipelago Cats, black ghost knifes, irwini cats, armatus, pipa pipa frogs, l397, l306 & l204 to name a few fish I keep!

Post by AmazonTank »

Hi Shane love that pleco!
That filtration is very cool is it the Swiss matala system I've read about?
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

The system is from Swiss Tropicals. These are the medium sized corner filters. Each is rated for 55 gallons, so with two I have 110 gallons of mechanical and biological filtration for a 75 gallon tank. After discussing with Stephan Tanner I went with a larger pore size to keep Chewy's "sawdust" from clogging them too frequently. Based on her old set up, I should only have to remove and clean the sponges once ever 5-6 months.
-Shane
AmazonTank
Interests: Gulper Cats, Chaca Chaca Archipelago Cats, black ghost knifes, irwini cats, armatus, pipa pipa frogs, l397, l306 & l204 to name a few fish I keep!

Post by AmazonTank »

Thanks so much Shane I'm gonna set one up I love those filters there amazing!
I been a big fan of yours forever 😃
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Hoping to move Chewy this weekend. Started conditioning her last week by petting her as she eats. First time she swam off and second she moved away slowly. A week later and she doesn't care at all if I pet her while she eats. Trying to make the move as easy as possible because if she spines me with her odontodes it will be stitches for me.
-Shane
AmazonTank

Post by AmazonTank »

That sounds so awesome!
I hand feed my gulpers cats, black ghost knives, pipa frogs but can't get them that comfortable!
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Chewy is in her new home!

How to move a really big spiky fish... Jools suggested catching her in a big fish bag. Show fish people use this method to move fish without damaging them. Chewy stayed very calm as I tried to herd her into the bag. Unfortunately, the bag kept collapsing before I could get her in. My wife suggested herding her into a large water pitcher I keep in the fish room, but I was worried she could flop out of it while I was moving her between tanks.

Ultimately, I lined the pitcher with a huge fish bag and coaxed her to swim in. I then closed the bag behind her and removed the bag (with Chewy inside). It was then just a matter of moving her in the bag a few feet to her new tank. No fuss, no mess, no stress. Within less than 24 hours after the move Chewy was gorging herself on zucchini!

Her old tank (top left) will be the new home of my pair of Bagroides.

-Shane
Attachments
20230216_180259.jpg
20230216_180541.jpg
AmazonTank

Post by AmazonTank »

Awesome so happy that worked out so smoothly ✨️
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Chewy salad. Zucchini and pea pod medley.
-Shane
Attachments
20230521_170225.jpg
Hyhy
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:8)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Skåne
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Hyhy »

Impressive fella.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

During Jool's last visit he opined (based on his collecting experiences in the Rio Xingu), that Chewy was most likely from the Rio Xingu. Leandro Souza has also looked at photos of Chewy and agrees she matches in shape and coloration specimens he has collected in the Xingu.
Thanks to Jools and Leandro I am confident of Chewy's identification.

-Shane
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

This is a piece of South African black iron wood I collected near Kruger. It is one of the hardest woods on the planet, but Chewy can make short work of it. Now you know why one common name for Panaque is Coma Canoa (canoe eater). You can easily see how a Panaque could sink a dugout canoe.
-Shane
Attachments
20230606_155721.jpg
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Impressive!

Cheers, Eric
emanuel
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Italy
Location 2: Trent (Trento)

Post by emanuel »

Absolutely Impressive :-O :-O :-O
Thanks for sharing this information
sorry for my bad English
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Post by sturiosoma »

Shane wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 12:42 This is a piece of South African black iron wood I collected near Kruger. It is one of the hardest woods on the planet, but Chewy can make short work of it. Now you know why one common name for Panaque is Coma Canoa (canoe eater). You can easily see how a Panaque could sink a dugout canoe.
-Shane
Is this the chosen wood for a dugout canoe?

Jeanne
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Jeanne,
Throughout Africa the most common wood used for dugout canoes is teak. Iron wood would not work as it is so dense that it sinks in water (hence why I collect it for aquariums). Other than Chewy eating it... the wood lasts forever in the aquarium. I have pieces that have been in tanks since 2006.

From Wikipedia
"The Guinness Book of World Records lists this tree as the world's heaviest wood, with a specific gravity of 1.49, similar to that of anthracite or dry earth.[6] It is known for its tendency to sink in water, unlike other wood materials."

-Shane
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Post by sturiosoma »

Shane wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 11:09 Jeanne,
Throughout Africa the most common wood used for dugout canoes is teak. Iron wood would not work as it is so dense that it sinks in water (hence why I collect it for aquariums). Other than Chewy eating it... the wood lasts forever in the aquarium. I have pieces that have been in tanks since 2006.

From Wikipedia
"The Guinness Book of World Records lists this tree as the world's heaviest wood, with a specific gravity of 1.49, similar to that of anthracite or dry earth.[6] It is known for its tendency to sink in water, unlike other wood materials."

-Shane
Is teak wood native to Chewys waters in the wild?

Jeanne
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Chewy is going through her annual shed. Picked these odontodes up from the substrate during water changes today.

Keep in mind these are as hard as teeth and could easily be used as a sewing needle.

-Shane
Attachments
20230808_152716.jpg
NewPlecoKeeper
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:8)
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:55)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Norway
Location 2: Bergen

Post by NewPlecoKeeper »

'This is super cool! This makes me even more exited about my two Panaque cf_armbrusteri`xingu` growing out in my 55 gallon with three Baryancistrus Xanthelus. They are still small and shy, largest one beeing 11-12 cm, or in other words only twice the lenght of Chewys odontodes.

-M
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Something I have never seen in 30 years of fish keeping...

Sunday afternoon 40% water change on Chewy's tank
Monday evening feeding... everybody looks good
Tuesday evening. Worked late skipped feeding.
Wednesday evening 60% of tetras in Chewy tank dead. Tank stinks of dead fish. Remainder of tetras covered in ich. Performed immediate 60% water change and shut down lights. Filters and heater all working fine. No mechanical failures.
Thursday night Chewy looks good no ich. No more tetra deaths but they are still covered with ich.

Losses so far. 2 of 5 wild Bleeding Hearts. 5 of 8 rummy nose, 5 of 8 black neon tetras. 1 of 4 black skirts.

Black neons were quarantined a month and added two weeks ago. All other tetras had a year or more in the tank.

No idea how this happened. When I came home tonight Erica had a shoe box on the counter assuming I would need it for Chewy.

Has anyone else had an ich outbreak like this?

-Shane
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Maybe its not ich? As you know there are a number of things that look like ich. And I've never heard of ich happening that fast :-O !
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Maybe Epistylis? Although not directly comparable, I have faced this issue with the mahseer I keep currently, and I have noticed that it typically occurs if I delay filter maintenance for longer periods. Fish will be perfectly fine in the morning but will be completely covered with ich like matter and struggling to breathe by evening. A massive water change, rock salt and a thorough cleaning of the filters clears this up rather quickly, the mahseer (including ones affected real bad) recover in a matter of 1-2 hours. I suspect smaller fish might take a bit longer to recover.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Good shout on Epistylis, it happens more often than ich. It can be triggered in various ways (I've read) but in the sort of tank Chewy has, if there is a chunk or build up of food that is not spotted and left to rot, then disturbed, perhaps by the influx of water then it'd do this. Ich round spots, same size, Epistylis not round, not same size.

Decades ago I lost 20+ clown loaches in a very similar situation only due to not using the plate I used to deflect water when I poured it in. While prepping the WC, I dropped the plate and broke it. So I just poured in water thinking it'd give the gravel a good shake up. Next day I cleaned the filters of the clag, everything was fine. The next again day was most unpleasant - haven't kept a clown loach since.

HTH and hope Chewy is OK,

Jools

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”