Cold water catfish like pangasius cats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Mehthusala
Location 1: America
Location 2: Pahrump

Cold water catfish like pangasius cats

Post by Mehthusala »

Hey guys
I have a quick question. I'm looking for a catfish that is similar to pangasius catfish. Sleek and free swimming.
I'm thinking I. Furcatus. Anyone have better suggestions? I live in the American southwest desert. Winter gets down to mid 20s(f). I have an outdoor pond. Water temp currently 40s. Summer gets hot!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Cold water catfish like pangasius cats

Post by Bas Pels »

As far as I know, Pangasius are unlike any other fish. So it will be very hard indeed to find something similar.

Free swimming catfish are extremely rare, and most often found in areas where you find lots of catfish.

The bottom is their preferred place, but some might leave the bottom, if competition is too fierce. Hoverver, in more temerate areas, competition is mostly less.

I'm afraid you best look for a carp looking like catfish or so.
cats have whiskers
Mehthusala

Post by Mehthusala »

Sadly, I think you're right. I was hoping there was something out there that could handle cold winters but searching turned up nothing. I did order some blue cats(I.Furcatus) a few months ago, I guess they will have to do.
Thanks for the reply!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nothing comes to me at the moment either.

Where have you ordered the blue catfish from? I've never been able to source them. It looks like you will be supplied next season, if you have been waiting a few months already?

Blue catfish seem to have the lower temp end at 50F. I wonder if they could take the 40s, as you mentioned. https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=261
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Mehthusala

Post by Mehthusala »

Hi Victor,
I ordered the blue cats from wholesalekoifarm.net who is a third party dealer for the blue cats.
They arrived a few months ago. My thermometer is a cheap 3 dollar thermo, and at the surface of pond. Pond is 3 feet deep, pump is off the bottom so temp at bottom is likely warmer than surface temp.
I think they'll be OK, they live in areas that get much colder than it does where I live..
BTW, your YouTube series is great, I love watching the fish ill never be able to own!
One last thing. I'm not sure the cats I got are actually I Furcatus. They looked like channel cats, had spots, but I was in too big a hurry to get them in pond to closely examine them. They arrived at night, so I wasn't really able to tell if they were channels or blues. I won't know for sure until the water warms up and they become more active.
Mehthusala

Post by Mehthusala »

https://wholesalekoifarm.net/product/3- ... l-catfish/

Above is direct link to blue cat if you are interested
Mehthusala

Post by Mehthusala »

Henneke hatchery sells them also, as does Overton fish hatchery and Arizona aquatic gardens. There were a few other places I looked at but remember the names. Maybe Osage hatchery? Most wouldn't ship to Nevada though, so thats why I went with the third party dealer mentioned earlier.
Anyway, I hope you get some, would be cool to see how big you can get them.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you much for the info and for the kind words and viewership, really appreciated!

I've found out long ago that a fish sold as "Blue channel catfish" is the channel catfish I. punctatus. Most LFSs used to carry them 10-15 years ago and called them that. They call them blue to distinguish from the commonly available albino channel catfish. It is not blue catfish I. furcatus.

From the description on the linked page, it is the channel catfish described, the scavenger, not the blue catfish, which is a pronounced, often pelagic predator.

The fact that yours had spots further confirms the mis-ID on the vendor's part.

I've heard of (manmade at farms) punctatus x furcatus hybrids before from Rob Finnick (Chicxulub) on the MFK, never seen them. In fact the Cat-elog photos of the juvi blue are of Rob's. He is the only one I've ever known to have obtained through personal farm connections and have kept the blue cat.

Arizona Aquatic gardens I've known about, was pondering to buy sturgeon from them, but they have horrible reviews. I've no idea how they are in business, if they still are. IDK Henneke and Overton.

Out of your list I've known Osage catfisheries to offer blues, yes, but they don't ship it seems only local pickup and they offer large fish. It's one of my recurring dreams to drive there to get some large fish, e.g. 45lb paddlefish, gar, catfish and others. I'd need to rent a 20 cubic yard dump truck and throw rubber liner in the bed :)

Blue catfish require a permit in FL and we just got one, so this is one step forward.

Anyway, sorry for taking your thread on a tangent...

PS My theoretical and limited understanding is that the 3ft depth is not enough for geothermal heating effect (it'd need to be more like 30ft) and warmer water never stays on the bottom, always rises, except at below 4C / 40F if I recall correctly.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Mehthusala

Post by Mehthusala »

About Henneke, they specificly mention channels, blues and the hybrid. I doubt they would be as misleading as the pet fish stores are notorious for but who knows.
As for the spots, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Rio Grande population has spots in the juveniles. I won't know for sure until I can catch one of them in the spring and check their anal fin. But I think most likely these are channel cats.
If you eventually find a source for blues please share here, I would greatly appreciate it. The 2 main fish I would like to keep are the Sterlet and the blue cat, and they are both proving allmost impossible to find.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you for this. As I found out neither Henneke nor Overton ship fish. Probably the norm for all farms / hatcheries like these. As stated, Osage catfisheries don't ship either. So we are back at square one - I believe unless you are within a driving distance of a farm, where blue catfish are raised, you won't have access to them in the USA. This has been true for me for the last 15 years.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Mehthusala

Post by Mehthusala »

Well, I'm not driving to Texas, lol.
Oh well, I'll keep you in mind if I ever find a good source.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you greatly.

:) These farms are roughly 20-25 hours one way for me too but I'd drive there if I had the tank space, money to spend on it, and a certain future. And maybe an equally crazy fish buddy. Yet, again, in theory I'd much rather rent a 30-foot moving truck, a dozen of 1000 gal water storage tanks, and go to the dreamland Missouri's Osage :)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Mehthusala

Post by Mehthusala »

Lol. Would make an interesting video to post! I think Ohio Fish Rescue did something like that awhile back.

Paddlefish and blue cats. Lots of cool potential footage there too.
Mehthusala

Post by Mehthusala »

I have one more last gasp here. I called these guys below. The person I talked to said they do have blue cats, but only 6 to 8 inches. No smaller ones available till spring. He said he is willing to ship.
I told him I'll wait till spring(I want the smaller ones to watch them grow)
I told him I'd give his number to a friend who's looking for blues. I forgot to verify that he's actually selling I Furcatus, so if you call him be sure to verify. Hope it pans out...

Wake-Robin Fisheries
195 Wake Robin Road
Minden, LA 71055
(318) 377-1525

Return to “Other Catfishes”