Having problems with KH

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
FishKeeper
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Scotland

Having problems with KH

Post by FishKeeper »

Hi, my KH out the tap is near enough 0 according to the test strips and liquid test kit. There for in my tanks it’s reading 0 as well. My ph is moves from 7.2 one week to as low as 6.3. I’m wondering what the best way to raise/stabilise the KH without raising the ph too much
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Having problems with KH

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Altering Your Water's Chemistry

Hardening Your Water (Raising GH and/or KH)

The following measurements are approximate; use a test kit to verify you've achieved the intended results. Note that if your water is extremely soft to begin with (1 degree KH or less), you may get a drastic change in pH as the buffer is added.

To raise both GH and KH simultaneously, add calcium carbonate (CaCO3). 1/2 teaspoon per 100 liters of water will increase both the KH and GH by about 1-2 dH. Alternatively, add some sea shells, coral, limestone, marble chips, etc. to your filter.

To raise the KH without raising the GH, add sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), commonly known as baking soda. 1/2 teaspoon per 100 Liters raises the KH by about 1 dH. Sodium bicarbonate drives the pH towards an equilibrium value of 8.2.

Raising and Lowering pH

One can raise or lower pH by adding chemicals. Because of buffering, however, the process is difficult to get right. Increasing or decreasing the pH (in a stable way) actually involves changing the KH. The most common approach is to add a buffer (in the previous section) whose equilibrium holds the pH at the desired value.
from https://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html

Not mentioned above is the fact that some fish are not happy with added sodium in the water. Depending on what fish you keep may determine the best solution. If you have a flitration system which allows you to put a bag of crushed coran into it, I would start by trying that. Acid water dissolves the coral and that raises the kH. It takes a bit of time to work and over time the coral will need to be replenished.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
FishKeeper
Location 2: Scotland

Re: Having problems with KH

Post by FishKeeper »

Thanks a lot

Return to “Tank Talk”