Leaf litter

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Phoenix.L
My cats species list: 28 (i:1, k:28)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:53)
My Wishlist: 53
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Troy, NY.
Location 2: USA
Interests: Hiking/climbing, rockhounding, crafting/art, DIY aquarium builds and creating natural aquarium decor, aquascaping/biotopes, freshwater fish keeping and breeding especially catfish, loaches, gobies, and pipefish (all the oddballs)

Leaf litter

Post by Phoenix.L »

To anyone running a tank with leaf litter on the bottom, how often do you change out the leaves? My tank just ends up with tons of leaf debris in the water column, is this just unavoidable or am I leaving the leaves in too long or is there some other type I should be using, or maybe more fresh leaves?
Input appreciated.
Thanks
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Re: Leaf litter

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I stopped using leaf litter for this reason. It was just clogging up my canister filter. Maybe there is some way of avoiding this but I couldn't manage to figure it out.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I let the leaves decompose until they start to clog filter intakes. It's at that point that I replace them with new dried leaves.
2wheelsx2 wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 18:56I stopped using leaf litter for this reason. It was just clogging up my canister filter. Maybe there is some way of avoiding this but I couldn't manage to figure it out.
Not just canister filters. They clog up my HOBs too. I use coarse sponge prefilters to reduce filter clogging.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

If you want to set up a leaf litter biotope go with a matten filter set up or sponge filters. Leaf litter normally accumulates during the dry season when there is very little current.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

You could use a 6cm thick sheet of sponge sheet covering the tank bottom with airlift or powerhead driven piping. Essentially an undergravel filter without gravel.

Return to “Tank Talk”