Duh-oh! One last suggestion for today. :-)

For the discussion, definition and tracking of new features to the site.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Duh-oh! One last suggestion for today. :-)

Post by bekateen »

Hi Jools,

I'm thinking of an admin tool related to CLOG pages and related to Shane's World articles. Would it be possible to add a tool to the Admin Menu that would allow admins to link existing Shane's World articles to CLOG pages if they are relevant?

For example, most obviously to me, since I encountered it a few days ago is the CLOG for . I was trying to figure out why there was an entry for this cf form, given that regular lanceolata is so widespread across South America (and genetically may represent 7 (or more) distinct types, according to one research paper). As I searched PlanetCatfish, I couldn't find any reference to the cf_lanceolata in any forum posts (one problem is that the forum search tool on PCF ignores any word with fewer than 3 characters, so cf and aff get ignored), but I stumbled upon a Shane's World article, Spawning Hemiloricaria, which uses the photo of cf_lanceolata. Unfortunately, that Shane's World article isn't linked to the CLOG page.

I don't know if it's better to do this through the CLOG edit page (maybe add a field to enter one or more Shane's World article numbers to the CLOG) or do it through the Admin menu (link an article to a CLOG). And while some CLOGs can have more than one Shane's World article, would there ever be a need to link one Shane's World article to more than one CLOG? I expect that would create problems on the Shane's World article, given that they normally end with a link to the relevant CLOG, and I don't know how you'd do that if two CLOGs were linked to the same article.

Okay. I'm done. No more suggestions today. Have a nice evening. :-)

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Duh-oh! One last suggestion for today. :-)

Post by Jools »

Hi Eric,

On the searching front try "r cf_". :-)

Always good to have suggestions! At least if you don't mind that some may not transpire. This one actually is already in mostly in place, the only thing that is missing is the admin edit function. When you use the admin (superuser) function to add an article, you can assign one species to that article. This then features on the cat-elog species profile page. What doesn't exist is the ability to edit this - I've never used it.

From a database perspective, articles link to species, not the other way around because one species may have many articles. We don't cater for one article featuring many species (because it doesn't/shouldn't yield enough species-specific data to be useful in a link from the species page).

In this case I could just add the data directly to the database?

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Jools wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 07:52 Hi Eric,

On the searching front try "r cf_". :-)
Good idea, but you can bet I had already tried it. Even in quotation marks, the search tool ignores cf and aff, and it removes the underscore character. Here's two examples, one with what you suggested in quotation marks and the other with the full name in quotation marks:
Screenshot_20230222-064313_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230222-064432_Chrome~3.jpg
Jools wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 07:52Always good to have suggestions! At least if you don't mind that some may not transpire. This one actually is already in mostly in place, the only thing that is missing is the admin edit function. When you use the admin (superuser) function to add an article, you can assign one species to that article. This then features on the cat-elog species profile page. What doesn't exist is the ability to edit this - I've never used it.

From a database perspective, articles link to species, not the other way around because one species may have many articles. We don't cater for one article featuring many species (because it doesn't/shouldn't yield enough species-specific data to be useful in a link from the species page).

In this case I could just add the data directly to the database?

Jools
That explanation makes sense. Yes, please, just add the one article to the cf_lanceolata page.

Thanks.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Sorry Eric, I'd not read your post properly and thought you were using the quick find as opposed to the forum search. I've changed the forum search to index two letter words. Uncertain if this will help, or indeed have an impact on performance but you can try it out. The change will take a while to be visible work mind you, it's the biggest table in the database and will take time to full index all posts across the site. Maybe a day? Not sure.

Meantime, I have updated the SW article to link to the species page.

Jools

Return to “Suggestions, Feature Requests and Enhancements”