Galaxy and Panaque L27 in same aquarium?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jritter_tm
Location 1: USA
Location 2: East Coast

Galaxy and Panaque L27 in same aquarium?

Post by jritter_tm »

Hi all,
I have a 55 gallon tank with a resident 7" long female Galaxy pleco. I've had her for many years and she's wonderful. Historically, she's been very accomodating to other small plecos. She currently resides with a small bristlenose (I think also female) just fine. The tank has plants, wood, rocks, and sand.

Today, an acquaintance just gave me an L27 Royal Pleco, about 2". (Literally just handed me the bag and told me to please just take it!) What could I say? This person's tank/other fish had no apparent diseases or issues, and he just wanted the fish gone to tear down the tank (moving, wasn't planning well).

The issue: I don't have another tank to put this guy in after his quarantine in the 10 gal hospital tank. He's a bit thin, but otherwise looks ok. Could the Royal Pleco live w/the Galaxy in the 55g until the Royal gets too big? Maybe a year? Are the chances of peaceful coexistence likely? I'd rather not put up another large tank immediately if I can avoid it. I will do that eventually, though.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Galaxy and Panaque L27 in same aquarium?

Post by Shane »

Can you give us more information? What other tank mates, aquascaping, tank maintenance, feeding regime? In general, I think you will be ok but tank mates are key as you need to ensure a very low protein diet for the Panaque.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
jritter_tm
Location 1: USA
Location 2: East Coast

Re: Galaxy and Panaque L27 in same aquarium?

Post by jritter_tm »

6 cardinals, 6 C. sodalis, the Galaxy and the bristlenose, 2 siamese algae eaters, and 2 small angel fish. Oh, and a lone Molly. Aquascaping is part gravel area, part sand area, 1 large driftwood piece, 2 small ones, some medium rocks, crypt. mainly for plants, and a couple of anubis. Feeding is algae wafers, flake food, vibra-bites, earthworm and bloodworm sticks. I add some zuke or yellow peppers in once a week for the day/then remove. I change about 30% of the water every 4 weeks and have an established filter.

The Panque/low protein diet: I hadn't realized. Hm. Maybe I need to set him up his own tank sooner than I had planned. I think I probably have a lot more protein available than I should.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”