Corydoras rio meta

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Manoah
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Netherlands
Interests: Biotope aquariums, corydoras sp, south american nature

Corydoras rio meta

Post by Manoah »

Hi everyone, i have a question. I have a rio meta biotope with a group of corydoras melini, but i want a group of corydoras melanotaenia in there as well. My question for you is, would it be likely to see c.melini and c. Melanotaenia together in nature? Becouse i know there from the same river system. C. Melini is from the orinoco and rio meta and c.melanotaenia is from the rio meta.

Thank you in advance,

-Manoah
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Corydoras rio meta

Post by bekateen »

This is from a 1980s paper. It does not put the two species close together. But considering its age, I don't know if this is still correct.

Cheers, Eric
Attachments
Screenshot_20230326-113616_Drive.jpg
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Manoah

Post by Manoah »

Thank you for this awnser. I think that melini lives in more places than this map shows. Becouse i read multible times that it lives in the orinoco and meta. But still this map is very helpful Eric 😊 thank you
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Interesting. The collection sites are all clustered around population centers. You need roads and infrastructure to reach sampling localities.

Take care when referencing an entire drainage such as "Orinoco" and "Meta." These are massive areas with dozens (hundreds?) of micro-habitats and things such as water temp, pH, hardness, substrate, seasonal temp fluctuations, current, oxygen levels, etc, etc change along the river's course creating different spp adapted to that specific area. Even in a small system, like the Rio Tuy, we have Farlowella acus and Corydoras venezuelanus. However, they are never found together as they inhabit different habitats within the same system.

I have a few papers on the Rio Meta and will look through them tomorrow to see if there is anything specifically on the two Corys you mention.

Lastly, I think the only way to do a perfect biotope is to collect at an exact location, measure the water, collect substrate and other decor and put it all in a tank. Even then we only have a snapshot because that biotope will change throughout the seasons.

I think what most people are after is a "theme" tank. In these tanks we capture the essence of an area even if every fish and plant and piece of decor is not 100% specific to an actual exact location.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Manoah

Post by Manoah »

Thank you shane i look forword to the papers you will look thrue. Have a nice evening(or day)

-Manoah
derrickOlley
Location 1: USA
Location 2: NY

Post by derrickOlley »

bekateen wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 19:39 This is from a 1980s paper. It does not put the two species close together. But considering its age, I don't know if this is still correct!

Cheers, Eric
I have been looking for this map for a long time! Everything is very well shown!

Return to “What is my catfish?”