Pygmy cory fry

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Byunative
Location 1: US
Location 2: Louisiana

Pygmy cory fry

Post by Byunative »

I have a 20l that I setup based on old Apistomaster threads. (Thanks, Apistomaster!). It has Pygmy cories, red cherry shrimp, lots of plants and moss, and a rubble pile of Eheim filter media in the back. The cories spawn frequently and I see the new fry darting around. I feed newly hatched baby brine shrimp, powdered food, and the tank has been established for a year or so. My problem is that I never see any juvenile fry. I only see maybe 1-2 week old fry but nothing much older. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? I will be moving these inhabitants to a 40B in the next month so I can make changes if I need to. I’m attaching a photo of the tank. Also, I added some Habrosus a few weeks ago. And … I do see the occasional scud in the tank. Just one every now and then and I remove them when I see them. Filtered by an Oase Biomaster 250 with a large sponge over the intake. Thanks!
7CB61AC7-077F-4EA1-B26A-5DF951AE61FD.jpeg
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Re: Pygmy cory fry

Post by sturiosoma »

Nice tank, and I'm thinking that there is too much competition for food and the fry are losing the battle, is there a way you can suction the fry out and put them in a breeder box?

Jeanne
Byunative
Location 1: US
Location 2: Louisiana

Re: Pygmy cory fry

Post by Byunative »

I’ve wondered if food is the limiting factor and have probably been over feeding a bit because of that. Putting them in a breeder box is a good idea if I can catch them. I have a Ziss mesh box but I’m afraid they will go through it. Will maybe need a Marina box with sponge guards. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”