L333 BW acting strange

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Kribs1984
Location 1: Chicago
Location 2: Chicago

L333 BW acting strange

Post by Kribs1984 »

Hello,

I have a colony of wild L333. In the last few days the fish seem to be coming up to the glass and not hanging in the caves like they usually do. There is no sign of any inch or anything on them. Water parameters are good and I did a 50 percent water change and still the same activity. Has anyone had this happen in the past. I have only had this happen if they have icy but the fish show no symptoms and breathing is normal. Thanks in advance.
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Re: L333 BW acting strange

Post by sturiosoma »

Kribs1984 wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 17:41 Hello,

I have a colony of wild L333. In the last few days the fish seem to be coming up to the glass and not hanging in the caves like they usually do. There is no sign of any inch or anything on them. Water parameters are good and I did a 50 percent water change and still the same activity. Has anyone had this happen in the past. I have only had this happen if they have icy but the fish show no symptoms and breathing is normal. Thanks in advance.
What are your water parameters, and did this problem occur before or after water change, do you have plenty of oxygenation in your tank, any recent changes you may have made.

Jeanne
Kribs1984

Post by Kribs1984 »

This was prior to a water change. Temp is between 82-84. Ph is 7.5. Ammonia is 0. Water is oxygenated , the tank is a 40B with a hmf filter with two ports on a central air system.They spawned last week and in the same tank and the eggs hatched no issues.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I've only observed groups of adult plecos go to the surface under two circumstances, one of which was after a water change: Either oxygen levels are too low, or a toxin, such as ammonia or even sulfur gas, is too high. Consider doing another big water change, add additional dechlorinator (such as Prime or aquavitro alpha, or any other brand) and add an extra airstone or powerhead with venturi.

Keep in mind that dechlorinators consume oxygen as they work, so just adding dechlorinator can temporarily lower dissolved oxygen.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Brian2014
My cats species list: 4 (i:4, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:4, p:54)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Birmingham uk

Post by Brian2014 »

This happen before my L046 where hit by hemorrhagic septicemia a few years back they would also sit in the open on the sand. When on the glass check for any redness around the fins. I think any pleco sitting out in the open either on the glass or sand can be a early warning sign keep a close eye on them maybe treat with a course of anti internal bacteria meds to be on the safe side
Kribs1984

Post by Kribs1984 »

So looks like I have fish lice. I am using cyropro with a prazi/metro mix. It’s been a day now with not much results. Only other option would be a PP.
sturiosoma
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Post by sturiosoma »

Kribs1984 wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 21:46 So looks like I have fish lice. I am using cyropro with a prazi/metro mix. It’s been a day now with not much results. Only other option would be a PP.
Could also be velvet.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”