Archeologists use sexual dimorphisms of Hoplosternum to understand ancient human activity

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Archeologists use sexual dimorphisms of Hoplosternum to understand ancient human activity

Post by bekateen »

Zarza, M. M., del Papa, L., Lamenza, G., & Tonni, E. (2023). Analysis of the record of Hoplosternum littorale (Callichthyidae, Siluriformes) to estimate seasonal occupation at archaeological sites. Folia Histórica del Nordeste, 46, 283-300.

Zarza, M. M., del Papa, L., Lamenza, G., & Tonni, E. (2023). Análisis del registro de Hoplosternum littorale (Callichthyidae, Siluriformes) para estimar estacionalidad de ocupación en sitios arqueológicos. Folia Histórica del Nordeste, 46, 283-300.

https://revistas.unne.edu.ar/index.php/ ... /view/6504
PDF: https://revistas.unne.edu.ar/index.php/ ... /6504/6093
Abstract
The occupation moment of a pre-Hispanic settlement is one of the fundamental topics that is considered to be addressed through the archaeological record. Species with marked seasonality are one of the main avenues for its study and is one of them. This Siluriformes is widely distributed in most of the South American lowlands and its life cycle includes modifications of its pectoral spines with clear sexual and age dimorphism. In fact, variations are found in adult male individuals. These variations take place at the beginning of the reproductive period in close connection with the beginning of the rainy season. We consider that these ontogenetic characteristics have great potential to estimate the time of year in which this resource is being exploited and, consequently, contribute to understand the space occupation strategies of pre-Hispanic societies. Therefore, we offer a model to understand this record and generate archaeological expectations. Finally, we test it through the analysis of an archaeological site in the Argentine humid Chaco.
<Morphotypes> <Seasonal Variation Models > <Late Holocene > <Ichthyofauna>
Resumen
El momento de ocupación de un asentamiento prehispánico es uno de los tópicos fundamentales que busca responderse a través del registro arqueológico. Las especies con marcada estacionalidad son una de las principales vías para su estudio y el pez es una de ellas. Este Siluriformes se distribuye ampliamente en las tierras bajas sudamericanas y su ciclo vital incluye modificaciones de sus espinas pectorales con marcado dimorfismo sexual y etario. En particular, se encuentran variaciones en los machos adultos. Las mismas se producen al inicio del periodo reproductivo en estrecha vinculación con el inicio de la temporada de lluvias. Consideramos que estas características ontogenéticas presentan un gran potencial para estimar el momento del año en el que se está explotando este recurso y, por lo tanto, contribuir a comprender las estrategias de ocupación del espacio de las sociedades prehispánicas. Por ello, en esta oportunidad presentamos un modelo para interpretar este registro y generar expectativas arqueológicas. Finalmente, lo ponemos a prueba a través del análisis de un sitio arqueológico del Chaco húmedo argentino.
<Morfotipos> <Modelo de variación estacional> <Holoceno tardío> <Ictiofauna>
Attachments
Figura 2. Esquema de tipos morfológicos de las espinas pectorales de la especie Hoplosternum littorale (Figure 2. Scheme of morphological types of the pectoral spines of the species Hoplosternum littorale)
Figura 2. Esquema de tipos morfológicos de las espinas pectorales de la especie Hoplosternum littorale (Figure 2. Scheme of morphological types of the pectoral spines of the species Hoplosternum littorale)
Figura 3. Modelo general de combinaciones morfológicas esperables a lo largo del ciclo anual de Hoplosternum littorale (Figure 3. General model of expected morphological combinations throughout the annual cycle of Hoplosternum littorale)
Figura 3. Modelo general de combinaciones morfológicas esperables a lo largo del ciclo anual de Hoplosternum littorale (Figure 3. General model of expected morphological combinations throughout the annual cycle of Hoplosternum littorale)
Figura 5. Modelo de combinaciones morfológicas esperables a lo largo del ciclo anual de Hoplosternum littorale en el Chaco Húmedo. Estimación basada en el conjunto arqueológico identificado como H. littorale del sitio Sotelo I (Figure 5. Model of expected morphological combinations throughout the annual cycle of Hoplosternum littorale in the Humid Chaco. Estimate based on the archaeological assemblage identified as H. littorale from the Sotelo site I)
Figura 5. Modelo de combinaciones morfológicas esperables a lo largo del ciclo anual de Hoplosternum littorale en el Chaco Húmedo. Estimación basada en el conjunto arqueológico identificado como H. littorale del sitio Sotelo I (Figure 5. Model of expected morphological combinations throughout the annual cycle of Hoplosternum littorale in the Humid Chaco. Estimate based on the archaeological assemblage identified as H. littorale from the Sotelo site I)
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”