Unknown Corydoras Death

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Catfishcommando
My cats species list: 6 (i:6, k:4)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Akron, Ohio
Interests: Ichthyology, Natural History, Regular History, and Fishing

Unknown Corydoras Death

Post by Catfishcommando »

Hi all! I’ve been having some Cories dying off recently and I’m not sure why. I purchased 7 Corydoras soldais from my LFS in January, and they have been doing really well. Last week I noticed on of the smaller ones was stuck to the filter intake, and breathing really heavily. I unstuck him and he swam to the bottom, where he turned really pale and then died shortly after I removed him for quarantine. Fast forward to yesterday when another of the smaller Cories from that group has also turned pale and died rather quickly. I have them in a 37 gallon tank with a fine sand substrate, plastic plants, and Malaysian Driftwood. The filter is a 50g Fluval Hob, and the tank has been setup since December. Water parameters are as follows:
Ph: 8
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphates: 0
Temperature: 78 F or 25.5 C

I feed Hikari sinking wafers and omega catfish pellets every other day. Water changes are done every week (25%) and every month I do a 50%. No fish have been added since this group, and I have not had any issues until now. Any insights on prevention / information on what is happening would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
3449DA31-C50D-4AB0-9A25-1060FDC187C2.jpeg
587258F4-D11F-4AE4-BB5D-FB98DF5C3DF7.jpeg
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:9)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Re: Unknown Corydoras Death

Post by characinkid »

Only think that I can see is that the PH is far higher than you would want for Cory's, Id suggest trying to lower that down much closer to 7.
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
Catfishcommando
My cats species list: 6 (i:6, k:4)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Akron, Ohio
Interests: Ichthyology, Natural History, Regular History, and Fishing

Re: Unknown Corydoras Death

Post by Catfishcommando »

I’m going to work on that tonight, but so far it’s only been affecting a few fish, none of the others are showing symptoms of anything

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”