temperature question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
emanuel
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Italy
Location 2: Trent (Trento)

temperature question

Post by emanuel »

I have a tank dedicated to plecos who want high temperatures, around 27 degrees in winter and 29/30 in the middle of summer. Not all Corydoras adapt to such high temperatures, I currently have sterbai that are fine, but a few months ago I had to remove my whole group of trilineatus because they suffered from such hot water. Now I would like to exchange the group of sterbai with some cw010 or some Corydoras Black Venezuela. Can anyone tell me if they adapt to the temperatures of my tank?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: temperature question

Post by Shane »

29-30 C is 84-86 F. Way too warm for the Corydoras spp. you are contemplating. Can I ask what plecos you are keeping that need such high temperatures? I assume fish from the Rio Xingu?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Shane, Exactly, from Rio Xingu I have a group of Hypancistrus L236, then two small Hypancistrus zebra and a Leporacanthicus heterodon. Then I also have Hemiancistrus subviridis, which is obviously not from the Rio Xingu.
What would be the maximum temperature for Corydoras cw010? And then there would be other Corydoras that tolerate temperatures around 28 degrees or only the sterbai?
sorry for my bad English
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I think your best option would be to stay with Corydoras from the Rio Xingu as it is a somewhat unique habitat. The combination of clear, shallow water over a mostly stone substrate results in higher temperatures than we see in most other South American rivers.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Shane, thanks, for example Corydoras cw111 del Rio Xingu looks very attractive
sorry for my bad English

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”