Unavailable species (most published in aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology)

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Unavailable species (most published in aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology)

Post by Shovelnose »

Amblyceps motumensis, A. taretlokensis and Parachiloglanis paliziensis, all three published in aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology, don't appear to be valid names as the journal apparently went electronic in 2021 and these names weren't registered with ZooBank. Glyptothorax pedunculatus also seems to have the same problem.

@Silurus, would it be prudent to remove these from the Catelog?
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unavailable species (most published in aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology)

Post by Silurus »

Shovelnose wrote: 15 May 2023, 07:19 @Silurus, would it be prudent to remove these from the Catelog?
I can add, but I cannot subtract. Only Jools can do that.

Aqua is not the only offending journal.The original description of was published in an electronic-only journal (apparently...we are still trying to get more info on that) without a ZooBank registration, so it is also unavailable. Even if the name was available, it's conspecific with G. ngapang (Vishwanath synonymized it in his book on the freshwater fishes of eastern Himalayas, and I agree with him).

So, there are plenty of unavailable names floating around out there, but someone has to do the detective work (and that someone ain't me).
Shovelnose

Re: Unavailable species (most published in aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology)

Post by Shovelnose »

Sure HH, I will take a look around and list out the species in this thread.
Balaji

Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Thanks Balaji, I will fix it once I have that list. What's the procedure here for these names, can the papers be deposited in ZooBank at a later date then it all gets sorted or are they sunk forever?

Cheers,

Jools
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Jools wrote: 19 May 2023, 19:06 Thanks Balaji, I will fix it once I have that list. What's the procedure here for these names, can the papers be deposited in ZooBank at a later date then it all gets sorted or are they sunk forever?
For descriptions that are published only in digital form, the nomenclatural act must be registered with Zoobank, and the LSID (Life Science Identifier) associated with the act must be clearly indicated in the original description. This cannot be retroactively applied.

In short, no LSID in a digitial-only description means that the name does not exist.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Here's all the 2021 and newer species I find when I search our forum using the keyword "Aqua:" If "Aqua" wasn't included in the citation, I will have missed them.

As for the other journal, the only forum post I find when searching for parts of the journal's name is . If there are more, the journal name must be written in a different format.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

OK, so I've removed the and renamed the to . Thinking about Glyptothorax pedunculatus, if we are not sure if it is an available name or not, will I move it to a junior synonym of G.ngapang for now?

Jools
PS Noting CoF has yet to catch up (likely) or disagrees on the Glyptothorax.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Hey Jools, HH mentioned that G. chavomensis has been synonymised with G. ngapang. Glyptothorax pedunculatus is an unavailable name due to non-registration with ZooBank prior to publication, I believe it should get the same treatment as the Amblyceps or Parachiloglanis above.

I too noticed that CoF has listed G. pedunculatus as a valid species but I think the Code always gets precedence.
Balaji

Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Silurus wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:02The original description of was published in an electronic-only journal (apparently...we are still trying to get more info on that) without a ZooBank registration, so it is also unavailable.
I'd read this as this position was unclear? In other words, the description may have been published in a non-electronic format and then you'd need to check that that didn't have the registration details in it.

Jools
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

D'oh! Yes, right you are, I will try to gather more info on this journal.

Edit : Would changing the title of the thread to 'Unavailable species names in the Cat-eLog' make more sense?
Balaji

Jools
Expert

Re: Unavailable species published in aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology

Post by Jools »

Yes, will do that title change.

Jools
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Jools wrote: 21 May 2023, 09:47 I'd read this as this position was unclear? In other words, the description may have been published in a non-electronic format and then you'd need to check that that didn't have the registration details in it.
The issue arose in writing the discussion for the description of a new Thai Glyptothorax. My co-author pointed out to me that the name may not be available because the journal might not exist in printed form. We contacted other Indian scientists to find out more (still waiting for a reply). I emailed the journal office to enquire about a print subscription, but their answer was evasive. No registration is needed if the journal exists in print, but it seems that is not the case.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Jools wrote: 21 May 2023, 09:00 Thinking about Glyptothorax pedunculatus, if we are not sure if it is an available name or not, will I move it to a junior synonym of G.ngapang for now?
Even if G. pedunculatus is an available name, it is almost certainly a junior synonym of G. fuscus. I said as much in my review of the manuscript, but the paper was published against my recommendation.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

I used the Whatsapp option on the website and got a single reply from the journal, further queries have gone unanswered.

"1) Author has to send article to journal mail id.
2) We send acceptance payment link in 3 days. Fees: Rs 1000, $30
3) After payment we send published link, certificate, coverpage in 5 days.
Check Our Journal List 💻📱
www.academicpublications.net"

A search using their ISSN number says they are an online journal (the record was last modified 2021).
https://portal.issn.org/resource/ISSN/2455-7269

HH, I have a related query. How does one treat species that have been registered with ZooBank but were published in predatory journals? Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks.
Balaji

Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

An update on the Whatsapp conversation.

My question : I also want to know if the journal has a print version, and if so, since when. Thanks.

The reply : No print
Balaji

Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Shovelnose wrote: 22 May 2023, 08:37 HH, I have a related query. How does one treat species that have been registered with ZooBank but were published in predatory journals? Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks.
The Code is not meant to be an arbiter of scientific quality. As long as the conditions for availability are met (electronic publication + ZooBank registration), the name is available.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Understood HH, thanks for the clarification.
Balaji

Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Glyptothorax pedunculatus has been removed. I'll catch up with the synonymy of the other Glyptothorax shortly - but I think in terms of the "dodgy species" all is now resolved. Let me know if not! :-)

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “All Resolved Issues”