Hypostomus basilisko: interspecies agression

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

Hypostomus basilisko: interspecies agression

Post by kiwidu21 »

Good morning,

Possessing a 10-year-old Hypostomus basilisko recently (recovered from a private individual), I wanted to continue this species and found a female (the one I have being a male).
Since the wholesalers and pet shops near me don't sex them (they don't want to take any risks in case of error), I ordered a specimen which turned out to be a male...

Once his quarantine was over, I decided to put him with the other male anyway. Having had no problem with my L200s (I have 2 males and a female), I told myself that the cohabitation of the two basilisko should go well.
Big mistake on my part because I found the bigger one attacking the smaller one. The latter now has a completely damaged back as well as the dorsal. So I separated them.

I had already noticed that the basilisko had a bad temper, quite aggressive. It often bickers with the Platydoras for food.
So I ask myself the question, do some of you keep several in the same tank?
I would like to place the little male and find a female but if he behaves the same way with the female...

They will be in a 1400 liters.

The little male is waiting in a 240l (he measures about 9cm). We see very badly in the photo but his back is all white, probably because of the suction cup of his congener. Is there a remedy to apply or can I leave it to nature? He is with corydoras in the meantime.

Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Hypostomus basilisko: interspecies agression

Post by Shane »

If he is in a clean aquarium with good filtration he should heal just fine on his own. That said, I would keep a close eye on him for any signs of infection resulting from the wounds.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

Ok thank you. Is this kind of attack typical of basilisko or is it just mine that has a bad temper?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I have not kept that species, but have seen this behavior in many Hypostominae. Sometimes it is the sex, size differences, not enough hiding places, or just conflicting temperaments.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

Ok thanks.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”