Weird water, please help

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
saradora
Location 1: PA
Interests: Plecos!

Weird water, please help

Post by saradora »

The past two times I have done water changes with a python in my 55 gal tank, there were tons of bubbles that took about 10 minutes to completely dissipate. This has never happened before, just the past two weeks. My father said the water seemed to smell really strongly of chlorine, but I can barely smell, so I don't know.

Does this sound like extra chlorine? How tolerant are plecos of chlorine? (My common pleco and geophagus cichlid have been showing stress colors after these water changes, but the other fish appear normal.)

Also, what about water conditioners? I use NovAqua slightly in excess (like 5 or 6 tsp. for 45 gal). Is this harmful to the fish (particularly my plecos)? This past water change I used more than that because I was afraid there was more chlorine in the water.

Sorry if this question should be in another forum.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm by far not an expert, but I suspect that the bubbles you're seeing is other gasses (= air = oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide), mixed in when you fill the bucket (or tank if the hose is directly in the tank).

If there's enough clorine to actually cause bubbles in the water, I would think that you'd also smell it clearly (even with a blocked nose) when you fill the tank.

Stress colours could well be the simple effect of you messing with the tank, rather than the chemical contents of the water.

Obviously, chlorine or chlorine-based content in the water isn't good for the fish. Using a chlorine remover should solve that. Best way to do this is to mix it in before you put the new water in the tank, in a bucket or similar.

I think there are tests for chlorine that you can buy (or take a water sample to suitable shop that can help you with a test). Another thought would be to contact your water supplier to ask if they have changed the amount of chlorine or other compounds in the water.

--
Mats
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Saradora,
The bubbles you are seeing is excess dissolved gasses(from the atmosphere), primarily Nitrogen gas.
It's common for this to occur in the winter months. Colder water (from your water supply) carries more dissolved gasses. As the water reaches tank temps or travels through your hot water heater, these gasses escape as bubbles.

If you are doing very large water changes or if you have fish that are sensitive to low-oxygen levels you should try to let it air out in an open vessel prior to adding it to your tank. Smaller water changes should be no problem though. It's not excess Chlorine so no worries there.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
saradora
Location 1: PA
Interests: Plecos!

Post by saradora »

Thanks for the help, that is very comforting to hear that it is not excess chlorine. I am doing large water changes, and it is hard to let it sit because I have to run the Python from my basement. Would it help to add airstones during the water change to increase the oxygen?

I will lug the water for my fish if I have to, but I am a small person and would rather stick to the Python if at all possible.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Saradora,
You could either add the airstone(s) or just do smaller and/or slower water changes.

As long as your fish aren't severely stressed each change, you should be fine with any or all of these three options.

BTW: Don't know if you have any, but Synodontis tend to fare very poorly in this situation. Just an FYI.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
cwindram
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Massachusetts, USA

Post by cwindram »

Saradora,

Here in Massachusetts where I live we have a municipal water company that sometimes adds an excess of chlorine to the water depending on time of year, etc. The water comes from a small reservoir in the hills
which has good fish habitat, but there is algae growth in reservoir, so the water co. chlorinates heavily sometimes, maybe to get rid of the "pond" smell that the water has when untreated. I know I can smell the difference when they are adding more chlorine. I wouldn't hesitate to rely on your father's sense of smell if yours is compromised
(I have a friend with absolutely no sense of smell - he left a package of squid bait in the back of his truck for a week without noticing - the next person that went to go for a ride with him couldn't even get in the truck, but he didn't even notice - it's a medical condition!)

A very safe method is to keep some 5 gal buckets around - most hardware stores have these - just rinse with some clean water, no detergent, and your ready to use 'em. Fill the bucket, and then agitate the water with a small pump & airstone (use a lid to keep spray from going everywhere). I let it go overnight, but even a few hours will do the trick. "Start Right" or other tap water anti-chlorine treatments are just fine too, but they should be mixed with the water and the water left to stand for a bit before doing water changes.

Best wishes,

Chris Windram
BVS
Location 1: Hertfordshire, UK
Interests: Fishies, overclocking, err.. Detective stories

Post by BVS »

I think this post on thekrib.com explains the whole bubble problem.
http://www.thekrib.com/Diseases/gas-bubble.html

One of my cory's once swelled up over the course of a day and then started "farting" every now and then before returning to normal :shock:. May have been a form of Gas Bubble Disease, I never quite got to the bottom of it. (Te, he, get the pun?)
troi
I've donated: $65.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Northwest New Mexico, USA

Post by troi »

saradora wrote:...I have to run the Python from my basement. Would it help to add airstones during the water change to increase the oxygen?

I will lug the water for my fish if I have to, but I am a small person and would rather stick to the Python if at all possible.
From one small person to another---USE the hose! Avoid damage to yourself the buckets can eventually cause. Why not run air stones all the time?

I did all of my changes with a hose while my fish were here. They are now elsewhere where a hose is impractical, which means they don't get changed often enough.

troi

Return to “Tank Talk”