L200 Hemi or Bary

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

L200 Hemi or Bary

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I have three L200's that I pretty much think I know which and what sex but want to make sure. If you could please let me know whether these are Hemiancistrus or Baryancistrus plus what you believe the sex is I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-Trent

Fish 1

Fish 2

Fish 3
-Trent
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Re: L200 Hemi or Bary

Post by Borbi »

Hi,

these are Hemiancistrus subviridis, easily seen through the lack of a membrane connecting dorsal and adipose fin.
I´ll leave the sex determination to others, though.

Cheers, Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Im no expert, but if I were to call any of them female it would be fish #2. Just my 2¢ guess :?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Fish 2 does look a bit fattier, but I'd say it's unlikely to be female based on other body features. However, these are not easy to sex, at least not when they are less than 4" SL - and these look to be about 3.5" TL, so have another inch or so to grow before they are "teenagers" - and they should reach about 6-7" TL.

--
Mats
Jost
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:4, p:77)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Kalkar
Location 2: Germany

Post by Jost »

Borbi wrote:Hi,

these are Hemiancistrus subviridis, easily seen through the lack of a membrane connecting dorsal and adipose fin.
I´ll leave the sex determination to others, though.

Cheers, Sandor
Hi Sandor
although I clearly agree on the statement that these are Hemiancistrus, be careful with your suggestion on the mebrane connecting dorsal and adipose fin.

As you can see on my webpage (http://www.nature2aqua.de/BilderSeiten/ ... /index.php) I have both species, but there was one individual in an import box from Columbia, which is definetly a Baryancistrus (confirmed by Harvard) that lacks the mebrane connecting dorsal and adipose fin. I'm quite shure that this individual had this missing membrane also some months ago, when I got it from Columbia, a box of 20 L200 which I sorted late at night only relying on this membrane to distuinguish between High and LowFin. And normally it is to expect that such parts of the fins are reapired within a few weeks, if it depend on a damage. Thus, this must be a malformation!.

I would suggest, as always quoted by Harvard, to check in addition the dots on the dorsal fin (Hemiancistrus on the spines, Baryancistrus between the spines) and the pelvic fin (Hemiancistrus without, Baryancistrus with dots).

Greetings and a Happy New Year to all
Jost
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Jost wrote:I would suggest, as always quoted by Harvard, to check in addition the dots on the dorsal fin (Hemiancistrus on the spines, Baryancistrus between the spines) and the pelvic fin (Hemiancistrus without, Baryancistrus with dots).
That's a great piece of info. I hadn't read that. I think I have one individual with the condition you described where the membrane was damaged, but the general colouration and finnage was wrong for a . I'll have a close look today when the lights come on to confirm the spots.
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

All three are Hemaiancistrus. The spots on the softrays of the dorsal fins leaves no doubt.

The fish are not that big yet, but I think fish 1 and 2 might be females and 3 a male.

Return to “What is my catfish?”