Looking for an ID on these cats...

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Amcav
Location 2: US

Looking for an ID on these cats...

Post by Amcav »

I got these in a trade and did not have a species name.

I think they may be Eruptus but I am not sure so I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks!

Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Looking for an ID on these cats...

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

They do look Synodontis euptera to me, outgrowing their juvi pattern and taking on more of the adult coloration.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
FerocactusLatispinus
My cats species list: 28 (i:14, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 6
Location 2: Gresham, WI, USA
Interests: Obtaining and culturing cacti, collecting minerals, and, of course, maintaining an aquarium.

Post by FerocactusLatispinus »

I'm no expert, but I've seen a good many S. eupterus in person at shops (especially juveniles), and I totally agree.

There's one at my LFS labeled as "Miscellaneous Synodontis Sp." going for $6.99, and at PetSmart in Green Bay, just one at the same or smaller size is $23.00! I'd get one, but they get a little big, and I've already got a full tank as it is!

Gotta love the "bearded cats"!!
Larry: "Why don't we get out of the restaurant business?"
Moe: (Approaches) "Why don't catfish have kittens?" (Leaves)
Larry: "I wonder..."

-"Playing the Ponies" (1937), The Three Stooges
Amcav

Post by Amcav »

Thanks guys

I thought the markings on the tails were the give away for eruptus.

I have three of these guys 3.5" - 4".

After reading a bit about them they are not the type that are good for breeding with African Cichlids, so they have to go.

:-Q
FerocactusLatispinus
Interests: Obtaining and culturing cacti, collecting minerals, and, of course, maintaining an aquarium.

They have to go?? I'm sorry to hear that... They're the cutest little things, though!

Amcav

Post by Amcav »

They would wreck havoc on any of the other fish I keep, they don't spawn in captivity without hormoning and all that jazz.

They are just not for me.

They are a good looking fish for someone who just keeps fish for the enjoyment of them though.
FerocactusLatispinus

I think I can see what you mean; I have four S. nigriventris cats, based on the fact that they are a schoaling species; two have gotten twice the size they once were when I obtained them, and the other two haven't grown at all. The two larger ones are real bullies to the smaller ones, and there is only one dominant fish in the bunch... a heavy-set guy I call "Curly".

It seems to me this species is really territorial, or at least mine are always squabbling over the 12" chunk of holey driftwood I have in there (I think of it as a "catfish apartment", since it has a broad face with three large, deep caves: my Microglanis iheringi is always in the same hole, and the Ancistrus and synos are often in the largest one). From what I can tell though, those two bullies don't inflict any damage at all, but just really chase the smaller two. I had two Ancistrus cats in the same situation, and I had to give up the smaller male for his own safety (I also had a Colombian Pimelodus pictus that got really mean); I want to let the smaller synos have a chance at growing larger and living a happy life, but I worry that they might end up in a bad aquarium... I'll keep 'em as long as they aren't hurting each other.

I don't know, maybe if there was just one per tank, these synos would be peaceful...

Return to “What is my catfish?”