Help me nail down which Ancsitrus this is? Gold in color, maybe Albino?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
scolba
My cats species list: 5 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
Location 1: Bloomington, IL
Location 2: USA
Interests: Snowmobiling, Outdoor stuff

Help me nail down which Ancsitrus this is? Gold in color, maybe Albino?

Post by scolba »

Hey cat-nuts!

About a week ago, we responded to a craigslist ad that listed a free 37 gallon tank, "MUST PICK UP TODAY!". I was like....sure, I'll take a 37 gallon for free. We can sit on it for a while and start it up later. So I responded that I was interested and could be there whenever. So we made the arrangements, and headed that way. As it turns out, the lady was moving....like, right then. There was a u-haul in the drive, and about half the house was empty. And...the tank was still up and running with 3 Serpae Tetras, 2 Albino Corys and a Gold colored bristlenose pleco. Not exactly what we were expecting. We didn't get the entire story, but from context and reading between the lines, I think these fish belonged to the lady's brother, who shared the house with her, and passed away about a month before. So she was stressed, rushed, and couldn't deal with it all. So I was happy to tear it down for her, and glad she didn't just flush them. She was actually pretty happy to hear our plan. We wanted corys and a BNP in our 65 gallon anyway, so that worked out great. And then after seeing the tank in person, my fiancé said she wanted it for her classroom instead of our Fluval Edge (as we had initially planned. lol). So the lady was really happy and almost relieved that it was going to a good home. Worked out well. So she gave us a couple of nice food grade buckets with the twist on tops, and we went to work. We drained about 10 gal of water for the buckets, and put the pleco in one bucket and the other fish in the other. Then we drained the rest of the tank, leaving a few inches of water in the bottom to keep the bacteria hydrated for the trip home.

Fast forward to today. I find I am enjoying knowing exact species, distribution, etc of the individual fish, so was wondering if you could help me out with IDing this guy. I realize these pics aren't the best, but he is kind of shy still, so its tough to get good ones without spooking him. The first pic is under a moonlight setting, so that may affect the coloration a bit.

So normally I would think this is just the albino common bnp, but he doesn't seem to have red eyes. Sometimes I think they might be red, but then most of the time they look very dark.

So what do you all think? Thanks everyone!

There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Help me nail down which Ancsitrus this is? Gold in color, maybe Albino?

Post by bekateen »

Looks like a normal male (obviously) red-eyed albino common BN to me.

Nice find, and your story about helping the lady is nice too. Congratulations!

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
scolba
My cats species list: 5 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
Location 1: Bloomington, IL
Location 2: USA
Interests: Snowmobiling, Outdoor stuff

Re: Help me nail down which Ancsitrus this is? Gold in color, maybe Albino?

Post by scolba »

Ah, ok then! Yeah, male was the only part I was 100% sure on. haha. I guess those eyes just fooled me and my lack of experience. Or he's mad at me and his eyes get dark like my fiancé's do. :)

Thanks a lot!
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

Return to “What is my catfish?”