Catfish identity

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
black shark
Location 1: istanbul
Location 2: istanbul

Catfish identity

Post by black shark »

Please help what catfish are these?
Attachments
20170505_162423.jpg
ThePsychotiCatfish
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia

Re: Catfish identity

Post by ThePsychotiCatfish »

It is difficult to make out from the photo but it looks like a pictus catfish, pimelodus pictus. To be absolutely sure a better photo will be needed though.
black shark

Post by black shark »

ThePsychotiCatfish wrote: 06 May 2017, 00:03 It is difficult to make out from the photo but it looks like a pictus catfish, pimelodus pictus. To be absolutely sure a better photo will be needed though.
I also thought it is pictus first but there is only one black spot on it
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

To me they look to be and
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
black shark

Post by black shark »

Dave Rinaldo wrote: 06 May 2017, 00:16 To me they look to be and
Thank you, they look like Sperata aor
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Agree with the unmistakable Sperata genus albeit I read their species ID is not easy at small sizes. Seenghala we appear to never see in the trade in the US and Europe, Turkey may differ, but aor and acicularis we appear to see.

Another thing I thought I'd mention is that I almost never came across a report (on here or on Monster Fish Keepers) of a fully grown Sperata in private hands. RedtailRob has had two acicularis for a long time now but it's been a long, long time since he provided an update. I am currently growing three Sperata that were alleged to be aor by vendor - Raymond Chan of Amazing Fish, California, USA. They are about 12" now and live in a 4500 gal tank.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
black shark

Post by black shark »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 06 May 2017, 13:17 Agree with the unmistakable Sperata genus albeit I read their species ID is not easy at small sizes. Seenghala we appear to never see in the trade in the US and Europe, Turkey may differ, but aor and acicularis we appear to see.

Another thing I thought I'd mention is that I almost never came across a report (on here or on Monster Fish Keepers) of a fully grown Sperata in private hands. RedtailRob has had two acicularis for a long time now but it's been a long, long time since he provided an update. I am currently growing three Sperata that were alleged to be aor by vendor - Raymond Chan of Amazing Fish, California, USA. They are about 12" now and live in a 4500 gal tank.
I agree with you. I checked other Sperata species' photos and it is very hard to find what sperata these are at this small size.

Return to “What is my catfish?”