Massive uk catfish rescue centre

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
syno-kev
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Location 1: stockport ,cheshire,england
Location 2: cheshire England
Interests: collector of synodontis catfish in 2 large community tanks 100 and 140 gallon in size

Massive uk catfish rescue centre

Post by syno-kev »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HELP-SAVE-RESCUED ... 2a0ba232fd

i found this today whilst looking through ebay just click on the above link to see some great pictures of some huge tropical catfishes rescued from tanks they have outgrown .

i want one of these tanks !
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Massive uk catfish rescue centre

Post by MatsP »

Nice post.

--
Mats
Sigmar
Location 2: Arlington Tx

Post by Sigmar »

Should be a lesson to us all.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

that's a lot of biggies

too bad half of em are hybrid TSN x Redtail

those are best put on the BBQ cause that's what they're invented for.

another question:
apart from that huge Auchenoglanis, all the cats are South American

maybe a Mod can put the whole topic over there?
Valar Morghulis
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I kinda am doing the same thing here in NY state but on a much smaller scale still. Most people still want good money for their big fish that outgrew their tanks. There are good souls out there who just want the best for the pets they cannot care properly anymore, but unfortunately these are few and I am no millionaire.

Anyway, nice find and good to know there are people who rescue big cats in UK too. I really wonder if this venture will float financially and people will chip in as the ad asks for, especially now that Jonathan's MonsterFishRescue folded, but that's in Ohio, USA. :( :( :( I have seen YouTube videos of that operation since long ago and was wondering what that guy was doing - from those earlier videos the mini-pond(s) looked way over populated but from this ebay post it looks like he has been expanding nicely.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

syno-kev wrote:i want one of these tanks !
Hey, Syno-Kev! Check out that thread if interested.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =4&t=30901

One of the easiest ways to go is inflatable above-ground pool (see the thread)! Real easy and cheap!

A copy of my humble input:

Hi Rob, a few DIY ideas:

(1) make a carcass (wood or metal or sturdy PVC piping or cement blocks) and use a rubber liner, 45 mil is good - very easy! or dig it up part or all depth into the ground.

(2) look into inflatable or solid-wall (usually aluminum with vinyl liner) above-ground swimming pools (they come in all kinds of sizes and shapes - round oval and rectangular)- might have to line them with the same rubber liner so that cats do not puncture the pool; vinyl is too thin and weak for the same reason

(3) get a water-storage tank; e.g., here we have some that are designed for storing large amounts of water in places where there is no running water, they are huge 550 to 1550 US gal, white plastic drums, 3-4.5 feet high, all solid with only one submarine-type threaded cover and maybe a drain outlet at the bottom; you could cut out a larger opening in the top

(4) may look for a large trough aka stockpond aka stockpool - designed to hold water for cattle, horses, etc. ranches - these come in variable sizes; the largest rectangular I've seen here at country/farm stores is 8' x 3' x 3' and circular 8'-12' diameter x 3' deep. I am sure with more effort one should be able to find other sizes.

Good luck!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

The link in the OP is no good anymore (goes to something entirely different).

I think this is the guy from Worksop, England, we are talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xUyMpjd6Ps

... And sadly his rescue is no more: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ost6574793

Jprp from Derbyshire, England, writes: ".... Not good, i did read that he was thinking of packing up but had made a deal with his ELECTRICITY SUPPLIER TO BE CLASSIFIED AS A CHARITY so assumed he was open for business........ UPDATE: For anyone looking to contact these guys forget it, i got in contact the other day and spoke to the lady of the house, sadly the couple have split and are no longer involved with rescue (apparently the fish were taken by a zoo)."
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Speak Easy”