Clean invertebrates

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
fat meloe!
Location 1: Western
Location 2: USA

Clean invertebrates

Post by fat meloe! »

Tubifex, filth-feeding maggots, and other small "worms" are often used for feeding fish and other animals. Apparently, the standard procedure is to keep them in a clean environment for a few days as they excrete their "dirty" gut contents before feeding.

Unfortunately google search only turned up a few forum discussions which I would not trust. Could anyone verify how successful such a method is, and whether there are other methods for sanitizing a breeding culture? I know maggot-therapy maggots are sterilized, but I don't know how well a similar procedure would work on non-maggot invertebrates.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Clean invertebrates

Post by bekateen »

For blackworms, it's relatively easy to keep them alive in the fridge if you rinse them every day or two. If you don't feed them over the week, I imagine their guts are pretty empty (unless they're eating their own poop)

Just thinking out loud,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Fundulopanchax76
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Location 1: Bulgaria
Location 2: Sliven

Post by Fundulopanchax76 »

I have ever wondered, in the nature who cleans worms gut to prepare them for fish ?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Fundulopanchax76 wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 06:28 I have ever wondered, in the nature who cleans worms gut to prepare them for fish ?
That's, obviouysly, right, but tubifex and red mosquito larvae live in areas where fish do not come - little oxygen, therefore they have lots of hemoglobin and thus they are red - which are nowadays often heavily polluted

Part of the pollution can be removed, such as gut contens. But others, such as heavy metals, not. For tubifex and red mosquito larvae, that is an argument against buying them, unless I am certain the source is trustworthy.
cats have whiskers
Fundulopanchax76
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Location 1: Bulgaria
Location 2: Sliven

Post by Fundulopanchax76 »

Tubifex lives in streams with good curent, relatively cold water and high level of oxyge. Thats why they die in warm water where oxygen is low. About cleaning we al live in our environment where everything is poluted you have not any proof that in other foods are not heavy metals. Considering infections and parasites - they could not be removed with starving tubifex.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Bas Pels wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 07:54 .... but tubifex and red mosquito larvae live in areas where fish do not come - little oxygen, therefore they have lots of hemoglobin and thus they are red - which are nowadays often heavily polluted

Part of the pollution can be removed, such as gut contens. But others, such as heavy metals, not. For tubifex and red mosquito larvae, that is an argument against buying them, unless I am certain the source is trustworthy......
I have the same reservation as @Bas Pels, and I wouldn't feed commercially produced Tubifex or Blood worms (Chironomid midge larvae) for that reason. To get the high densities, that are required for economic commercial production or exploitation, you need water with a very high organic waste content, and they are collected at sewage farms etc.

I also think, for Blood worms, that there are potentially issue during freezing as well.
Fundulopanchax76 wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 08:10 Tubifex lives in streams with good curent, relatively cold water and high level of oxyge. Thats why they die in warm water where oxygen is low.
Both chironomids and tubificid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naididae) worms occur in clean water (as well as disgustingly filthy water) they just form a small component of the faunal assemblage, rather than all of it.

Scientists actually use the changes in the species composition of the chironomid assembly to estimate pollution, but their use, at finer taxonomic levels, is hindered by the morphological similarity of species (basically they all look the same).

I "ranch" Blood worms (https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/wha ... ost-271855) and Black-worms in buckets outside. From (https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/bla ... ost-501726)
ImageImage

cheers Darrel
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

I feed tubifex and blood worms (both live) on a fairly regular basis, two water changes a day and ample aeration keeps these worms living long enough to use on multiple occasions.

I have been able to keep tubifex alive for 3-4 weeks (with die offs) through water changes and Tetra Bits as feed. While it may sound like I have a fairly cavalier attitude when it comes to tubifex, I have had a single (and unconfirmed) tubifex related death in the past decade and I like those odds.

Personally though, I believe shrimps are way better to 'culture' and feed on a regular basis but it requires a little more space than I can spare presently.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.

Return to “Speak Easy”