Tank raised zebra plecos for sale

Items for sale in the United States of America and Canada.
Rod47
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Livermore
Location 2: California
Interests: zebra plecostomus L-046 and Discus

Tank raised zebra plecos for sale

Post by Rod47 »

If you are looking for tank raised zebra plecos (L046), check out www.buyzebrapleco.com. These are fish I've raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I am willing to ship them anywhere in the US.
m1ke715m
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: atlantic highlands, nj

Re: Tank raised zebra plecos for sale

Post by m1ke715m »

not to be a jerk or anything but your site says this

All are first generation (F1) progeny from a group of wild caught and tank raised parents

if the entire breeding group of parents isnt wild caught then the progeny is not f1. f1 is from wc x wc.
fish room? my whole house is my fish room!
jsalas623
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ

Post by jsalas623 »

Perhaps saying a mix of F1 and F2? also I would shy away from saying this: "They are ideal tank mates for discus and all types of tropical fish as they remain small (max size around 3 inches) and are not aggressive towards other species" The last thing I would do is risk the health of my zebra plecos by mixing them up with "tropical fish". say somebody buys a few from you and it turns out they dont do too well in a community tank and they come after you saying "you said they would be ideal tank mates!" It saves you a few headaches. But any experienced fish keeper would know not to do this (but there are exceptions). But besides this its very well done and the pricing is excellent I just might sway myself to buy a couple more for my christmas present! :-BD

BTW how many of each size do you have? And what are your tank parameters?
Rod47

Post by Rod47 »

I'm don't know why I didn't see these comments earlier, but I apologize for the delay in responding.

I appreciate the comments about the content of the site. The last thing one wants to do is misrepresent the fish or put the fish or owner in a position they will regret.

My comment about being ideal tank mates for other tropical fish is a personal observation that came from my first experience with zebra plecos. I hadn't been interested in breeding them at the time and maintained six adults in a 300 gal community tank with discus and a variety of other compatible tropicals for several years. They did beautifully. There are others that just want a neat tank they can watch and enjoy and don't have the time or inclination to breed them, and I would not want those individuals to shy away from being able to keep such a neat catfish. But...I agree that the comment about them being ideal tank mates could lead to a problem if they were put into the wrong community tank. So I think it is a good idea to either modify or remove the comment.

With regard to whether the fish I am selling are F1's or not, by the strict definition of F1 in biology, they are F1's. F1 refers to the children or generation coming from a pair or set of parents. The parents can have the exact same genetic background, or they can have different genetic backgrounds (be different strains or be wild or tank raised). If the parents are of the same species, they are just referred to as F1's. If the parents are from two different species, they are called F1 hybrids. When you take two children or offspring from the same parents and breed them together, their children are F2's. My main reason for referring to F1 on the site is to make it clear that I do not breed brothers and sisters from my breeding pairs nor do I allow the children to breed with the parents to produce fish to sell. That over time can weaken the fish.

I have ~13 of the 1-1.5", ~40 of the 1.5-2" and 8 of the 2"+ left. They have been raised in RO water with Discus Essentials, pH 7.3. The breeding tank is kept at 85degF, but the young fish are maintained at 81-83degF when separated out.

I do appreciate both of your comments.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

Rod, While you are absolutely correct in your use of F1 when referring to genetical lineage that is not the common use of the term in the aquarium trade.

In the context of the aquarium trade/hobby, the term F1 refers to fish whose parents are wild caught and these are the first generation born in captivity. F2 would refer to the progeny of these fish, and anything beyond that is generally considered aquarium strain fish.

It gets a little muddy when you are breeding wild caught fish to captive raised fish. The generally accepted term would be WCxF1(F2, TR(for Tank Raised), etc...).

Since you are offering the fish for sale, using the term F1 in the context as used by the aquarium trade would be appropriate. Especially since the monetary value of the fish is affected by their degrees removed from the wild. Anything else could be considered a deceptive advertisement.

Andy
Rod47

Post by Rod47 »

Andy, thanks for the clarification. I'm surprised the usage in the aquarium trade is not the same as it is used in science to define genetic lineages. But that is very helpful to know. And something I need to change.
vinman
Location 1: America, Bronx, NY
Location 2: America, Bronx, NY

Post by vinman »

Rod, Andy is right the way it is misused in the hobby. It all stemed from first genration from the wild = F1.

The correct term for F1 as you stated is correct in scientific terms. The term F1 (first filial) generation is the hybrid offspring of 2 unrealted lines of fuana from the same species or subspecies.

In the hobby we call these F1 hybrid offspring ( from unrealted parents ). Not to ge confussed with a hybrid offspring that comes from breeding any fuana from 2 or more different species.

You seem like a honest guy. Good luck in selling your fish :-BD
yayfish24
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: lancaster pa

Post by yayfish24 »

Great prices. Might have to get a few in the year.
Rod47

Post by Rod47 »

I'm sure you will really enjoy them if you do. They're a beautiful pleco.
jsalas623

Post by jsalas623 »

Rod any updates of your website just saw you were replenishing your stock?
jsalas623

Post by jsalas623 »

On 3/9/16 I received 6 Juvie Zebra's from Rod that acclimated just fine and were very lively. Shipping/packaging was superb and I would definitely buy some more.

littletoot2016
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Santa Clara,Ca. USA
Location 2: Santa Clara, Ca. USA
Interests: keeping fish. and fishing (killing fish) though sometimes I kill both.

Post by littletoot2016 »

What kind of price can you give me for 10- 1inch zebras? I'm in the bay area, so I can pick up.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

littletoot2016, Rod47 hasn't visited this website in a while. You should probably visit his website (listed at the top of this thread) to find out availability.

(Attention, @Rod47)

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
R_ZFish
Location 1: United States

Post by R_ZFish »

Hello has anyone recently ordered from Rod. I know this thread is old but I was on the wait list and tried to re-email him and his email seems to no longer be in service. I emailed him just a couple of months ago and got on the wait list. Is there any other way I can contact him? Thanks for any help!
FriedRice
Location 1: Southern California
Location 2: North Hollywood

Post by FriedRice »

Recently place two separate orders with Rod. One order i purchased 10 in Oct 2017 and a other I purchased 6 on Dec 2017. Transaction went smooth and only loss 1 during shipment which Rod promptly refunded for the DOA. You have to email him to get on the list.
wesley42079
Location 1: San Jose
Location 2: San Jose

Post by wesley42079 »

I'm glad he's local. I need to contact Rod.

Return to “For Sale (USA & Canada)”