What catfish to keep?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Robertr75
Location 1: rotherham
Location 2: uk

What catfish to keep?

Post by Robertr75 »

Hi I have a spare tank 32inch long x 17inch high x14inch wide and was thinking about doing a catfish only tank.
Im thinking a bigish catfish, what is the biggest catfish I could keep in that size tank?
KungFish
My cats species list: 5 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 109
Location 1: usa
Location 2: Texas
Interests: Biotopes, Video games, reading, music, photography.

Re: What catfish to keep?

Post by KungFish »

Personally, I wouldn't have anything larger than 5 inches in that size tank.

Although I tend to like smaller fishes anyway.

Hope you end up getting something nice :D
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

What do you want to keep? Something active in bright light? Or plant friendly?

Bigger fish tend to arrange the tank to suit them in terms of gravel and plants.

A popular suggestion will always be corydoras as many will be happy in this size tank. Glass catfish the smaller of the 2 types i know of for something in the middle. Lots of great colours and very peaceful fish mostly one or two types can have issues. The corys in terms of colour.

For special editions you could try flag tail portholes, normal hoplos, clown pleco I think 2 might fit in this size. Most of which should be visible most of the time. I find having prize fish you never see a shame.

If you don't mind hunting the odd balls a bit more or shyer fish lots would fit. Try to keep the fish under max size for the tank a little I find it helps.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Although I don't have an absolute rule about size, I'm inclined to agree with Kungfish - In a tank the size of yours, a fish of about 5 inches SL (6-7 inches TL) is about as large as I would dare go, just for the comfort of the fish; and if I did go that large, I'd be talking about a fish that doesn't move much (like a common bristlenose, ). And I also agree with JamesFish about choosing groups of corys for the bottom or groups of glass cats for mid-level swimmers. But to warn you, my glass cats were very shy; I kept a group of four in a 36 gal tank and they spent all their daylight hours hiding amongst tall plants. But they were fascinating to watch. :-)

IMHO, it is almost painful for me to watch a fish confined to a tank that clearly restricts its mobility.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Tank Talk”