3 foot "Log Jam" tank (40 gallon breeder)

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Jackster
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: WI

Post by Jackster »

The plant you mentioned is rightfully called Cylindropuntia bigelovii (teddybear cholla). I can't find any references to toxicity at all but I have found some mention of the buds, berries, and stems being cooked and eaten by Cahuilla Indians. I'm sure the spines floating around an aquarium would certainly be undesirable, but we can't assume that any contamination of spines is present in the cactus skeleton and, in fact, I just talked directly with the very well loved Uncle Rick and he assured me that no spine contamination exists. Since the spines of this type of cactus have been compared to fiberglass insulation under your skin, anyone who has handled these pleco chews (cactus skeletons) would quickly be aware of any contamination due to the obvious discomfort which would occur. I also know that over 500 of these pleco chews are currently being used in aquariums (all over the USA) for mostly Ancistrus species as well as a few Panaque species with no reports of any deaths or disease that I'm personally aware of.

And as for sidguppy's avatar, I hope he's not seeing a reflection in the mirror? :cheers:
"The Jackster"
Need Bristlenose?
UNCLERICK666
Location 1: BOSTON, MA. U.S.A.

CHICKEN LITTLE SAYS" THE SKY IS FALLING" SO EVERYB

Post by UNCLERICK666 »

OK HI!
THIS IS MY FIRST POST HERE, I DON'T KNOW 99% OF YOU SO I'M TRYING TO MAKE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION BUT.....
:roll: OMG I DON'T BELIEVE THIS.......

OK, APPARENTLY YOU FOLKS WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET ME TO JOIN THIS FORUM!! :lol:

I'VE HAD ENOUGH FOLKS RATTLE MY CAGE ABOUT THIS
"MISINFORMATION" THAT I JUST HAD TO SEE WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT, AND I JUST HAD A NICE CHUCKLE.

I REALIZE YOU DON'T KNOW ME FROM ADAM SO......
LET'S TALK ABOUT ME FIRST OK?

I GOT MY FIRST FISH IN 1952 (GUPPYS) AND HAVE BEEN "HOOKED" ON FISH EVER SINCE.

IN 1964 I SAVED ALL MY CANDY MONEY AND IMPORTED BLUE COBRA GUPPYS FROM GERMANY, I BELIEVE I WAS THE FIRST IN THE USA TO RECEIVE THEM.
WHEN I WENT TO COLLAGE IN 1965, I HAD OVER 1500 INCLUDING 300 BREEDERS! ( I NOW HAVE A GREAT LINE OF THAI BLUES)

I WAS A MEMBER OF THE BOSTON AQUARIUM SOCIETY FOR ALMOST 2 DECADES. AND HAVE WORKED AT BOTH THE STONE ZOO AND THE NEW ENGLAND AQUARIUM, CARING FOR EVERYTHING FROM, SEA LIONS TO POLAR BEARS, AND OF COURSE ALL TYPES OF FRESH AND SALT WATER FISH AND OTHER AQUATIC CREATURES.

ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO I HOOKED UP WITH A FAMOUS GUPPY BREEDER AND A MARINE BIOLOGIST/VET/NUTRITIONIST WHO FORMULATED THE VARIOUS "CHOWS" USED BY MANY OF THE MAJOR U.S. AQUARIUMS. TOGETHER THEY FORMULATED ALL MY FOODS.....AND STILL DO!
THE LATEST BEING PRO~TEC "GEL".

ALL MY FOODS ARE GUARANTEED TO NOT ONLY BE SAFE, BUT TO GROW HEALTHY, HAPPY, AND MORE COLORFUL FISH!

I CAN UNDERSTAND FOLKS BEING RELUCTANT TO TRY SOMETHING "DIFFERENT". FOR GENERATIONS FOLKS THOUGHT EATING TOMATOES AND EGGPLANT WOULD KILL YOU JUST BECAUSE THEIR DISTANT COUSINS (DEADLY NIGHT SHADE, DATURA, ETC. CAUSED SOME DEATHS.

OK SOMEHOW I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT MOST CACTUS ARE POISONOUS, IF THEY WERE THEY WOULDN'T NEED SPINES TO KEEP CRITTERS FROM EATING THEM. IN FACT I DRINK ALOE JUICE (FROM CACTUS) DAILY. AND PRICKLY PEAR CACTUS FRUIT ARE RELISHED BY FOLKS WORLD WIDE.

I KNOW THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL SITE SO YOU FOLKS IN MEXICO, AND CALIFORNIA THAT HAVE EATEN ALL KINDS OF CACTUS FOR GENERATIONS PLEASE CHIME IN. GRANTED MANY JUST DON'T TASTE THAT GOOD, OR ARE TOO MUCH TROUBLE TO DEAL WITH,BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY WILL KILL YOU!

SOME FOLKS SAY IF YOU WRITE PLACO INSTEAD OF PL*CO ALL YOUR FISH ARE GONNA DIE,
(I KNOW THIS MIGHT BE A TOUCHY SUBJECT FOR SOME FOLKS, AND IF SO, I APOLOGIES, BUT THERE IS A RELEVANCY HERE)OR THAT MUSHROOMS ARE POISONOUS! AND IN A FEW INSTANCES THAT'S TRUE, BUT WHEN THEY WROTE THE MUSHROOM TEXT BOOKS THEY DIDN'T KNOW THAT FOLKS EAT OR USED THOSE SAME MUSHROOMS FOR 4,000 YEARS!
SOME THINGS YOU HAVE TO PROVE FOR YOURSELF SO IT HAS VALIDITY. SO ALL I DID WAS TRY A NEW WOOD, FOR A VERY LONG TIME, SO YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO.

NOW THE FIRST GUY TO EAT A RAW LOBSTER, OR SEA CLAMS.......THAT GUY WAS BRAVE!

NOW SOME FACTS (AS I KNOW THEM)

IT TOOK ME OVER 2 YEARS OF SELLING "BETTER THAN BRINE" TO CONVINCE FOLKS THAT IT REALLY WAS BETTER!

I GOT LOTS OF EMAILS SAYING "20 TIMES MORE NUTRITIOUS THAN BRINE SHRIMP? NO WAY!"

WELL GUESS WHAT IT'S TRUE......BRINE SHRIMP IS NOTHING MORE THAN WATER IN A SHELL AND ISN'T VERY NUTRITIOUS AT ALL, AND IS A PITA TO DEAL WITH.
OF COURSE SOME WILL SAY I'M TALKING OUT MY BUTT, BUT IT'S A VERY CUT BUTT, ASK MY GF.

I'VE BEEN USING MY CHEWS FOR 5-6 YEARS MOSTLY AS PLANTERS AND DECORATIONS, AND JUST THOUGHT THEY BROKE DOWN AND DISINTEGRATED OVER TIME UNTIL ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO WHEN I PULED A PIECE FROM A PLECO TANK AND COULDN'T GET THE FISH TO LET GO....EVEN WHEN IT WAS OUT OF THE TANK!

SOON I REALIZED THE PLECS HAD BEEN EATING IT ALL ALONG, AND I HAD THOUGHT IT WAS JUST NICE USING IT TO PLANT IN, AND AS A COOL DECORATION.

IN OVER 5 YEARS, I'VE HAD THEM IN EVERY TANK WITH EVERY TYPE OF FISH.

SEVERAL TYPES OF CORIES, PLECOS, ANGELS, RAMS, APISTOS, GUPS, CRAYS, WOOD EATING SHRIMP, MBUNA AND MOST RECENTLY 6 PIECES IN A TANK OF 30 CARDINAL TETRAS, FOR OVER 8 MONTHS!
(IF YOU'VE KEPT CARDINALS YOU KNOW HOW SENSITIVE THEY ARE!)

IN 5 YEARS I HAVE NOT LOST 1 FISH BECAUSE OF THE CHEWS, HECK THE ONLY TIME I LOOSE FISH IS FROM BREEDERS FIGHTING, OR A BIG WATER CHANGE WITH THE CITY WATER, WHEN THEY REPLACE BROKEN LEAD PIPES.

I HAVE SOLD OVER 500 PIECES JUST ON AQUABID, AND ANOTHER 100 LOCALLY, AND NOT ONE FISH WAS LOST BECAUSE OF MY CHEWS ! I KNOW HOW FISH FOLKS ARE, IF JUST ONE PERSON LOST FISH FISH AND KNEW THAT MY CHEWS CAUSED A PROBLEM, IT WOULD BE ALL OVER THE FORUMS, AND I'D BE OUT OF BUSINESS .......ALREADY!

BELIEVE ME I WOULDN'T SELL ANYTHING THAT I HADN'T USED MYSELF FOR AT LEAST .....WELL IT WAS 3 YEARS
ON THE "BTB" AND 1 YEAR THE LEAST FOR THE "GEL"
AND 5 YEARS FOR THE CHEWS!

I HAVE FOLKS BUYING 25-50 AT A TIME THAT HAVE HUNDREDS OF TANKS AND ARE HUGE PLECO BREEDERS.
DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD PUT THEIR FISH AT RISK?

HECK MY BIG PLECS (COMMONS) AT 18" 20" MUST HAVE EATEN 8 POUNDS OF THEM SINCE THEY WERE BOUGHT AT 3/4"

YES THAT'S RIGHT COMMON PLECS CAN AND DO GROW OVER 12" DESPITE WHAT IS BEING SAID....
(COULD IT BE THE FOOD?)
AND I HAD SIX, ONLY 1 LEFT A MALE BECAUSE SOMEONE TOLD THE BUYER THAT MALE PLECOS WILL KILL EVERY OTHER MALE IN THE TANK!
THEY GREW UP TOGETHER IN A 55 GAL WITH ANGELS.
AND NO FIGHTING AT ALL.
I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT HAPPEN SO..... BRINE SHRIMP?
AND THE BIT ABOUT MICROSCOPIC SPINES ON THE MY CHEWS...... UNLESS THEY WANT TO PUT ONE OF "MY" PLECO CHEWS UNDER AN ELECTRON MICROSCOPE AND POST THE PIC. NO WAY JOSE!

OH AND I DON'T BOIL MY WOOD BEFORE USING AS "MY" FISH LIKE THE SMALL AMOUNT OF TANNINS RELEASED.

BESIDES THESE CHEWS HAVE BEEN OUT IN THE DESSERT FOR MANY, MANY, YEARS AND THE INSECTS, SAND, WIND, RAIN SNOW AND 112 DEGREE SUN HAS BLEACHED THEM CLEAN!
AIN'T MOTHER NATURE GRAND!
(ALTHOUGH THEY ARE PRESHUREWASHED WITH WELL WATER)

SO YOU CAN LISTEN TO ONE PERSONS OPINION,
(WHO HAS NEVER TRIED MY PRODUCTS, BY THE WAY), OR CHECK MY FEEDBACK ON AQUABID FOR WHAT THE HUNDREDS OF FOLKS THAT HAVE USED MY PRODUCTS ARE SAYING!

AS AN ASIDE I DID GET PERMISSION FROM L.D. TO USE HIS EXCELLENT PIC, EVEN GAVE HIM CREDIT!
AND ALSO FROM BLUERAM06 FOR THE USE OF HIS.

IF YOU PULL THE CHEWS FROM YOUR TANK BECAUSE OF ONE GUYS POSTED OPINION, THEN YOU AND YOUR FISH ARE LOOSING OUT ON A GREAT NATURAL PRODUCT! 8)

SORRY THAT MY FIRST POST HAS TO BE DEFENSIVE BUT, HEY
"IT AIN'T EASY BEING ME!"

OK SO.....HOW DO I GET MY AVATAR UP? 8)

p.s.
OH AND NO I'M NOT YELLING I'M JUST SICILIAN AND WE ALL TALK LIKE THIS, SORRY,........KINDA MA THING, PLUS I'M BLIND AS A CAVE FISH. :shock:

p.p.s. IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE AN INFOMERCIAL IT'S JUST THAT I'M VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT MY FOODS, MY FISH, AND MY WOMEN. NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER! :lol:

IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A p.p.p.S?
ABOUT SILICON, I BET A SHINNY NEW QUARTER 75% OF THEM WILL KILL FISH. YOU NEED THE RIGHT ONE, THE ONE THAT OTHERS HAVE USED SUCCESFULLY FOR YEARS....AS I'M SURE YOU ALREADY KNOW.........

MAN I GOTTA STOP DRINKING COFFEE AT 1:00 IN THE A.M.
ENLIGHTMENT DOESN'T CARE HOW YOU GET THERE!
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

After reading this
I think Sidguppy has jumped the gun on calling this "Cholla" material toxic. I have seen nothing to indicate toxicity at this point, and Sid didn't even bother to spell alkaloid correctly, so I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about in regards to this plant.
and this lil comment
And as for sidguppy's avatar, I hope he's not seeing a reflection in the mirror?
I know I'm not going to waste any more time on advice for you two even if the fishcorpses pile up higher than a compostheap

you just put a tank full of non decomposed plant material that's going to rot; see what happens to your waterquality in a couple of months

so my avatar runs through after all; spotted 2 more.
count is now about 5 billion and 2
:twisted:
Valar Morghulis
Seedy
Location 1: Tulsa OK USA
Interests: Scuba, Sport/Defense Shooting (handgun), Fishing and Cichlids

Post by Seedy »

So, uh Hi UncleRick! Nice to "meet" you...although you do speak a little loudly...Thank you for assuring me that your product is safe...although I have to admit I bought mine locally and not through you :wink:

Having read some of the articles about the nature of these cacti, and having eaten prickly pear cactus myself. I am now quite certain that "Teddy Bear Cholla" is safe. Mine will stay in my tank along with all the other woods.

Um...so anyway...what do people think of the idea of trying to recreate a natural "snag" in a river similar to where I was reading many Panaque sp. are found? Any other suggestions to help improve this tank? (Hiding the coconut shell helped a lot)

My Wife has added some new wood (willow sticks/small branches) and we have been using the "Cholla" as a place to stick clippings from my planted tank. I will take some new pics and have them posted before the weekend is over...

A couple other thoughts...I have another AC70, should I go ahead and add it too? I mean, wow these Panaques make a lot of "sawdust"...On that same note, considering I have a L191 growing out, and a P. maccus in the tank, can I get away with adding another Panaque or three(now I'm getting greedy). Housing the adult Panaques will not be an issue as I have never failed to upgrade a tank size when required by the fish. Thoughts?
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

Edited by Seedy-There was no need for me to be rude...
Last edited by Seedy on 30 Sep 2007, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
UNCLERICK666

Post by UNCLERICK666 »

HI SEEDY NICE TO MEET YOU AS WELL. I'M SURE THERE IS A GREAT FAMILY OF FISH FOLK HERE, AND I'M SURE I CAN ADJUST TO THE NEW FACES, AND THOUGHTS.

THE CHEWS WILL BE EATEN LONG BEFORE THEY ROT!
AS FOR THE WOOD DAM LOTS OF JAVA MOSS OR SIMILAR AND AN EMPTY COKE BOTTLE :lol:

SERIOUSLY VERY NICE TANK....I'M ENVIOUS.

ALL THE BEST.........UNCLE

OH....YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE THE BARK OFF OF THE WILLOW.....THAT'S WHERE ASPIRIN COMES FROM SO IF YOU LEAVE IT IN THE FEMALES WON'T HAVE AN EXCUSE NOT TO BREED........ :roll:
BlkMagik79
Location 1: Broken Arrow, OK

Post by BlkMagik79 »

sidguppy wrote: you just put a tank full of non decomposed plant material that's going to rot; see what happens to your waterquality in a couple of months
sidguppy,

We were not born yesterday so yes we are well aware that wood decomposes. Hence the massive filtration on that tank that gets cleaned weekly. However, there is wood sitting on the bottom of lakes and oceans everywhere that has been sitting in water for hundreds or even thousands of years and still in tact so I'm not too worried about all the wood decaying anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the panaque will have eaten all of well before it completely decomposes.
Last edited by BlkMagik79 on 23 Sep 2007, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Ummm...I'm not good with signatures...Seedy's Wife
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Seedy wrote:Sidguppy, It is a real shame that you're one of the most negative and petty people I've met on the web...
A than you should look further
B In real life he is quite a nice guy - and that is more important
BlkMagik79

Post by BlkMagik79 »

Bas Pels wrote:
Seedy wrote: A than you should look further
B In real life he is quite a nice guy - and that is more important
and? Considering we are on the internet and not in person...this doesn't apply.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

I think Sid deserved something better than your replys...Whatever your opinion may is about the toxicity and general safety of this cactus and whatever you decide to do,he just warned you about something he knew or the very least he believed its true,caring for your fish...He wasnt rude or something and didnt attaked any of you...Why should you?

Just a thought...I think he deserves an apology by all... :roll:
BlkMagik79

Post by BlkMagik79 »

Kostas - sidguppy started being rude towards the begining of the thread then edited it out. He has also been rude in other threads, via PM as well as on another forum to both Seedy and myself. I'm not sure how many have followed this thread from the begining but I have as this is MY tank and was looking for imput but was not registered therefore asked Seedy to post it for me. It is very apparent to me that sidguppy is currently back-peddling as quickly as he can and I ended up joining this forum just to defend my tank.
Kostas
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi BlkMagik79,
I dont know if there is prehistory in it...He just wasnt deserving that kind of replys in this thread... :wink: And i am not blaming anyone here...We just all are better off being milder :)

And now back to our oringinal subject which is how you can improove your tank :wink: I think that if you add some branched branches,position more freely(i.e. not all horizontial and like a match) the existing twigs and position the thick branch you have with the cut end visible so that its cut end is in the substrate,looking like a root,your tank will look as natural as it goes :wink: But its beautifull and natural looking anyway... :wink:
Last edited by Kostas on 23 Sep 2007, 12:22, edited 3 times in total.
BlkMagik79

Post by BlkMagik79 »

Thanks for the imput Kostas...I have added some more twigs (some that are forked) in the right side of the tank and a lot are angled instead of horizontal. We will get new pics for it this weekend and then would love more imput. :)
N2Biomes
I've donated: $120.00!
My images: 7
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States

Post by N2Biomes »

Seedy,

I tried posting my reply 3 times last night, just after your post to me – every time I came to add more, all the text was gone, so I gave up and decided to post this morning. Wow, a whole lot of posts happened in the meanwhile.

First, as you all now know, UncleRick had my permission to use the photo of my Royal, so you can certainly keep the photo up here. I had no idea that it would be involved in a "to cholla or not to cholla" discussion. I am a registered member of PlecoFanatics, and we are having the same discussion over there.

Aside, not a Thread Hijack:
Thank you for your compliment on my new little Royal! This is the third one that I purchased from one of my LFSs, and obviously the healthiest. The first 2 had sunken tummies and I purchased them thinking that I could give them a better home than the LFS (no wood in the tank!). Unfortunately, both didn't survive. With this one, I took no changes, and treated it with Parasite Clear. This must have been the magic bullet, since its alive and well and now in my plec show tank.

Before purchasing the chews from UncleRick, I did ask questions and got replies from him, not as much info as he’s posted here, but enough to feel comfortable offering the cholla to my Royal. I was directed to this thread because I’d also posted the photo at PF and a member suggested I go read what was written here about it. Given that my Royal is the first of several to survive, I certainly didn’t want to feed it something thought by some here to contain toxins. I usually do a fair amount of research before trying something new; I perhaps too quickly removed the chew from the tank.

Welcome to the PlanetCatfish Forum, and thanks, UncleRick, for your post! This information, along with Seedy’s reference to the experienced Panaque owner, has made my decision to replace the chew into the Royal’s environment an easy one.

And now, back to the topic at hand:
BlkMagik79, you have a lovely tank for Panaques! I love your idea of a “log jam”! Thanks for posting it, N2Biomes.
Jackster
Location 2: WI

Post by Jackster »

I would like to add some additional information to this topic. First of all the species in question here does not have microscopic spines. One species that does have these glochids (microscopic spines) is Opuntia basilaris, however, the species we are talking about is Cylindropuntia bigelovii which has large barbed spines. So Sid, we were both incorrect about the issue of this cactus skeleton possibly being contaminated with glochids, since this species doesn't even have them.

Now technically speaking, Cylindropuntia bigelovii does contain one possible toxin specifically oxalic acid, however, I don't feel that the cactus skeleton contains enough oxalic acid to be considered even mildly toxic. And after all, we humans consume many foods which contain high levels of oxalic acid such as mustard greens, rhubarb, buckwheat, black pepper, parsley, and beets just to mention a few. Now I'm not aware of anyone that has died from eating these foods so just like everything in life, moderation would be the key here.

All I can say is when I'm wrong, I can admit it, and that's why I posted additional accurate information so everyone could be clear on the issue of the pleco chews. I didn't see Sid providing us with any additional information other than we are all stupid and he is in a class far above the rest of us. A truly intelligent person would not be so critical of others not gifted with such a high level of understanding as themselves and would also be aware that everyone needs to be tolerant of each other's opinions.
"The Jackster"
Need Bristlenose?
UNCLERICK666

AND THE BEAT GOES ON!

Post by UNCLERICK666 »

I DON'T FEEL IT'S RIGHT TO KEEP POSTING IN THIS THREAD.....So I'll start another....My apologies to the original poster, He only wanted suggestions on how to have a more natural looking tank and got controversy instead.

So if Your interested see the new thread....
ARE PLECO CHEWS SAFE? & OTHER OBSERVATIONS
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

Here's a new pic of the tank:

Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Its very beautyfull :D Your Panaque must like it even more now with all these new woods :wink:
Have you brightened the lighting or is it just the picture?
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

Very nice! Thank you Lori and Colby:)
BlkMagik79

Post by BlkMagik79 »

Kostas - We haven't seen either Panaque since adding the wood...We finally had to go searching them out to make sure they were OK and both were happily munching in the back where it is darker. For that picture, yes I added light to the tank. I borrowed the cf lighting from my planted tank so that I could get a good pic.

Haavard - Thanks...Hope the picture of the tank helps with your lecture!!!
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi BlkMagik79,
The reason you havent seen them is exactly the fact that you added new wood...Panaque generally remain on the old woods they have got used to when you add new woods and take them a few days to start exploring the new pieces...So,because you added the new woods towards the front,they just dont come to the front and remain to the good old back woods :wink: In a few days you will start seing them in the wood tangle you have made :wink:
So i guess the tank acually remains darker,as it was which looks better than with more light,it seems more natural :wink:
BlkMagik79

Post by BlkMagik79 »

Yeah I really like the tank darker for the most part...I have to have kind of strong light over the plants but the back of the tank tends to stay pretty dark. I did finally see both Panaque when I turned on the lights this morning. The L191 looks great, nice and fat :D...unfortunately by the time I got the camera he had disappeared and hasn't been seen since, and I still haven't managed to get a picture of the P. maccus :cry: Oh well I guess I will keep trying to catch them out when I have a camera ready...
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Your L191 at some point will start coming out even with lights open and will stay visible and not be afraid of you... :wink: But this takes time...At a few months he will be much more outgoing... :)
As for Panaque maccus,dont be disapointed,i have mine 6 years now and i only have one picture of him,which in fact was a chance shot as i was taking a photo of my Platydoras costatus at that time and noticed him in the picture when i viewed it on the pc... :roll:
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

New Pics:

Panaque maccus

Panaque sp. "L191"

[IMG:650:435]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/see ... C_3118.jpg[/img]
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Hi,

Seedy may I ask how you prepare branches before putting them in a tank? Are they special in any meaning or just randomly taken branches from hard-wood trees? I always wanted few branches in my tank but was too afraid :).

Tank looks very cool.

Regards.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

Hi worton[pl]!

The branches came from my and my families various residences (That way we knew if any pesticides or fertilizers had or had not been used on what trees).
Some branches and smaller twigs were "live" cut off the tree while some came from a brush pile of broken limbs from the winter's ice storm and were weathered.

The sticks that would fit in my largest cooking pot where boiled 1-3 times to attempt to kill any possibly harmful local flora/fauna. The largest pieces where "basted" with boiling water in a turkey pan in a broiler oven...

When we do water changes on the tank, all wood is removed from the tank so a thorough gravel vacuuming can take place. I did remove one of the larger pieces of maple as it began to stink and was discovered to have been bored into numerous times by some kind of an insect. I suspect that there where dead or dying insect inside the wood causing it to stink.

Expect MASSIVE tannin staining...but then again, I like tea colored water :P
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Hiya,

That is really cool! :)) Didn't know it may be so easy :).

Thanks.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Great photos Seedy! :wink:
I like very much your L191...
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

Well, all fish are healthy and accounted for. The L191 is growing and the P. maccus seems happy. The corys and angel fish are looking good as well.

With every water change (lotsa "sawdust" to vacuum)the tank gets "re-scaped". Here is the latest incarnation:

Seedy

Post by Seedy »

After the recent power outage we had due to an Ice Storm, we did a major water change and "search" to make sure everything survived. Despite 2 and a half days of no filtration/heat before we acquired a generator we have had no losses in this tank. Stocking list is the same as when 1st posted. Here's a few shots of the water change and fish.

After Water Change:

Return to “Tank Talk”