Increasing flow in a tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Lloydy
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Chandlers Ford (near Southampton, England)
Location 2: Southampton (England)

Increasing flow in a tank

Post by Lloydy »

Hi all,

I have a 270l Fluval tank with the standard equipment including a Fluval 305 external filter which is rated for up to 300l. Although this is fine, the flow it generates it pretty weak, so I want something to increase this.

I was therefore thinking of adding an additional internal filter on the other side of the tank. Not only would this help keep the tank cleaner and provide some redundancy cover increase the external breaks *fingers crossed it doesn't* but will also to allow flow from both sides.

Having had a very quick look around at the bigger internal filters I found http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquar ... 0plus.html or http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquar ... ilter.html however does anyone recommend a particular make/model?
Q) Why are dead fish harder to 'wind up' than live fish?
A) Because dead fish never take the bait! ;)
jerry58
Location 2: kent

Re: Increasing flow in a tank

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Lloydy
Have you tried taking some media out of the filter that increases the flow also you can try to fit a spraybar that generates more flow(I tape up some of the holes to get more power) this can reduce the life of impeller, or another option is a power head that can add quite a bit more flow than a internal filter and you can fit a filter under it. Internal filters are quite weak on the flow side.
Hear is a pic only as example hope this helps.

Jerry
Attachments
POWER HEAD.jpg
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

If you only want to increase flow, I'd recommend a low-pressure pump like this:
http://www.saltycritter.com/pumps/tunze_nano_stream.htm

They draw very little electricity, are affordable, and move vast amounts of water - and do so in a wide, soft, beam rather than the narrow, hard, beam of water you get from high pressure internal filters.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm sure Tunze Nano Stream are great pumps. I have not tried them.

But I think you saw my pumps in my tanks. They are Hydor Seltz L30, and my local shop, Lynchford Aquatics, Peabody Road, North Camp (Aldershot end of Farnborough) has a load of them for £15 each. Adjustable flow, up to 1200 lph, which is probably about right for your size tank - I have one of them in my 200 liter L128 tank, and another in the 100liter Panaque tank - I had to turn that one down.

I personally find that spray-bars are less useful than just letting the water flow straight out of the external pump - spray bars spread the flow, the straight out gives a more concentrated flow in one area.

--
Mats
funkymonkey65
Location 1: Swadlincote
Location 2: Derbyshire

Post by funkymonkey65 »

There's a good number of internal filters at http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquar ... -aquariums that seems to be fairly decent in price. I've bought a few things from them in the past and, so far, everything has done what I'd hoped it would.

Hope that helps :)

Return to “Tank Talk”