Picture Request

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Fish
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: London

Picture Request

Post by Fish »

Hi again! :D

I'm looking for some ideas on how to decorate my tank, at the moment I've got small gravel, bog wood and a large plant (fake) and I've also got one of those big crocodile skulls (not in tank yet) which I thought would provide some nice hiding places but the tank is still quite empty. Could you guys post some pics of your tanks so I could get some ideas please! :thumbsup:

(smaller tanks like mine would be better but anything would be helpful! :D )

Thanks again
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: Picture Request

Post by Marc van Arc »

jerry58
Location 2: kent

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Fish
Just a thought but might be worth you putting a picture up of your tank as it is and would get a better idea of the over all picture for someone to help.
Also what fish you intend to keep in the tank.:thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Decor really IMHO should primaily be for the benefit of the fish - ie what species are gonna go in the tank?
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Have a look at the "My Aquaria" of other people. See what they look like.

I'm personally a fan of "natural" looking things - that's not to say that all of the things in my tanks are entirely natural looking, but I avoid things like volcanos, "no fishing" signs, brightly coloured gravel, aero-planes and castles. And I prefer live plants from the plastic ones. Maybe that's because I'm above 40 in age... Or maybe it's just me...

There is also an article series in "Shane's world" that talk about "Natural Catfish Aquarium", which goes into explaining what the natural habitat of the fish looks like, and how to reproduce that in a tank.

I also agree with Richard B - what fish you are keeping should decide what sort of decorations and general layout of the tank.

--
Mats
Fish

Post by Fish »

Hi Thanks for the replies

At the moment the plants are fake as I want to concentrate on looking after the fish then later on I may start adding live plants which I have never done before. At the moment I have 3 pictus cats, I'll have a look at the places mentioned above :thumbsup:
Richard B
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

For pictus i'd suggest fine sand at the front & gravel or a planting medium towards the back. Live vallis along the back & sides , smooth river pebbles covering maybe a 1/3 of the bottom with a couple of small twisted wood branches that the cats can hide beneath if desired but plenty of open water for swimming.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by DutchFry »

here's my smallest tank, there are live plants in there, fine sand and lots of smooth Cobra pebbles as substrate.

this is my slightly bigger tank

and my attempt to create a rio negro look, worked quite well as you can see :lol:

if you have questions about my tanks, shoot!

good luck!
Greetings, Tim
Fish

Post by Fish »

Today my dad went to buy some corals from a shop in Surrey so I tagged along and after talking to the guy at the LFS ended up buying some plants and sand. I kind of used RichardB's suggestions in the way I set it up. I have no idea which plants I bought by the way :D

Here's a pic :

Sorry for the camera phone quality, it also looks a bit weird because of the shape of the glass (S/wave shape front glass) :?

As you can see all the fish are hiding in the corner. It's still not great but better than before, nothing compared to ones like dutchfry's :thumbsup: . This is the first time I've bought live plants and all I can say is that some of them make a mess while working in the tank! (can anyone spot the fake plant? :wink: )
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Which shop (where in Surrey), if you don't mind?

--
Mats
Fish

Post by Fish »

I think it was called knights aquatic centre, they invited all the members from ultimate reef forum.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I may be wrong, but I think that's where Martin S works from time to time...

--
Mats
Martin S
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

MatsP wrote:I may be wrong, but I think that's where Martin S works from time to time...

--
Mats
It is indeed, and I was there yesterday (Saturday) working to help out with the reef open day, so you may have seen me - if you are a member of UR you'll definitely see pictures of me, at least one of me eating a cake and drinking tea! :lol:
Martin
Fish

Post by Fish »

It is a small world! My dad is a member on there he has a 250g reef, he wanted to go yesterday but we couldn't make it so we went today he ended up buying a sun coral :D

There were some nice whiptails there but I think they were the kind that grow very big.
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Hi Fish, nice choice for the sand :thumbsup: That's what I'm switching to. And Welcome to Planet Catfish!

I'm not sure of the correct plant names off the top of my head but I'm sure someone will come along that has a better memory. The long wide leaved one on the far left is often just called a sword and all my cats really spend a lot of time in those. Easy to grow but will get to a good size. It works in my lower light tanks and my bright light tank.
The reddish one on the far right is easy to grow but you need to keep it in the brightest light of your tank to keep the red. It still looks beautiful even if it goes green. If you want it red but are going to keep regular lights, you can 'pot' it into something that you can then tie to driftwood or something to raise it a bit closer to the light.
The fluffy green one on the left might be a wisteria. Grows like crazy and you can clip and shape it all you like as it grows, doesn't hurt it a bit. If you want to multiply it, you can simply break a piece off and anchor it in the sand.
The red one in the middle with long leaves looks like it might be in the fern family but as with most red leaved plants, it may appreciate a brightly lit spot in the tank. Even if the sun or window comes from one direction in your room, most red plants will just suck up that sunlight!
The fluffy red one in the centre is a mystery to me but it's very cool! Maybe a type of calomba? :thumbsup:

The one to watch is that one on the right that looks a little like bamboo. (If it's real) Lovely plant but you have to remember to give the stalk a little squeeze now and again to make sure it's not rotting. If it starts to, yank the plant out as it will totally mess with your water. I'm pretty sure it's one of those plants that do really well in water but only for a short while. Some plants are "True Aquatics" and grow fully submersed in water all the time and other will do okay in water for only a few months. No problem as long as you remember to check the stalk. If that happens, you can cut the tips off and plant it outside the tank in some regular soil.
A good way to check if plants are meant to grow in water all the time is to hold the plant up and see if the leaves go all floppy. If they stay erect, they are probably a terrestrial plant.

That's also my guess for the fake plant...but....the little red straight-leaved one looks so awesome it could be that one! Very good! :wink:

If you get right into planted tanks, check out this thread but beware it's REALLY picture heavy! He only uses liquid carbo and not the whole expensive CO2 rig so it can be done by 'normal people'. His fish on the other hand are some pretty special fish mixed with some that are easier to find. You might want to get your Dad and a comfy chair, this thread is like a slideshow to fishy heaven.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =4&t=21831

The no-plants but elegant and even spooky tank look is anything by Haavard Stoere. Here's one of his You Tube videos. You could just get lost for days looking into one of his tanks! He's a member here and we learn A LOT of tank design from him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXyNCwUnq4U

Can't wait to see how your tank evolves :)
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Fish wrote:It is a small world! My dad is a member on there he has a 250g reef, he wanted to go yesterday but we couldn't make it so we went today he ended up buying a sun coral :D

There were some nice whiptails there but I think they were the kind that grow very big.
It is indeed.
There are definitely some Sturistoma, Farlowella and Rineloricaria in stock, none of which get too big.
Glad your dad got sorted with his coral - in under three hours the UR lot were there they cleared out a lot of corals, but because only half could make it, we still had a lot left.
Martin
Fish

Post by Fish »

I saw the rineloricaria micro??? and asked a guy there and he told me they grow 20" or something :(
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Fish wrote:I saw the rineloricaria micro??? and asked a guy there and he told me they grow 20" or something :(
Probably a misunderstanding - rineloricaria reach around 15-20cm/6-8" at most. So it's either not a rineloricaria (and unlikely to be any form of Loricariinae).

--
Mats
Fish

Post by Fish »

OK thanks! :thumbsup:
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Definitely a misunderstanding - if they are the ones I think they are fully grown already. They are quite unusual as these go (will check and find the id later).
Martin
Fish

Post by Fish »

They were a sandy colour there were quite a few of them. They were in the tank just below/near the display tank on the right as you come in the shop. They had a pretty long name too :lol:
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Sandy colour certainly sounds like , several of these have fairly long names... But not exactly unique.

--
Mats
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Fish wrote:They were a sandy colour there were quite a few of them. They were in the tank just below/near the display tank on the right as you come in the shop. They had a pretty long name too :lol:
Yes, they are the ones I thought you meant. I think they MIGHT be .
MatsP wrote:Sandy colour certainly sounds like , several of these have fairly long names... But not exactly unique.
I just meant they aren't the usual R.eigenmanni - we've had the Pinochio Whiptails () before, and these are simlar size/colour but without the curled nose.
Martin
cochito
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Shizuoka, Japan

Post by cochito »

Looking at pictures here, folks on this sites are very innovative :shock: . I surely have so much to learn :mrgreen: . I'll refer to the examples when I set up one.
Thanks!
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

but these aren't plants; it's a bunch of plastic......?

I prefer real plants when someone mentions 'plants' :beardy:
Valar Morghulis
Fish

Post by Fish »

WRONG! they are all real! only 1 is plastic, can you guess which one? :wink:
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

The bamboo looks very plasticcy, and it's certainly not naturally an underwater plant, so it's got to be the fake - take it out... ;)

--
Mats
Fish

Post by Fish »

You win! I'll keep it in there for now.

Here are some Slightly better pictures as you can see I'm not very good :lol: :

(BTW My tank is the same as the one 'Smirf someone is selling in the UK sale section)

Return to “Tank Talk”