Fishroom Air

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Psy
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 1: NJ, USA

Fishroom Air

Post by Psy »

Is there anything out there on sizing air pumps? It seems like there should be some math or science behind it, but most of what I've seen is "get a $200 linear air pump" or "I just horde cheap pumps."

So I have a few big tanks that I want to run air on, then expand to smaller tanks for raising fry.

I've have so far (inches)
120g (48x24x24)
75g (48x18x20)
20 long (30x12x12)

Expansion could be slow, but I'd like to add another 55/75 (48x13x20) or a 6ft tank (sorry, I like big c*****ds). Then a rack of maybe 4x 20 longs and 8x 10s for raising fry and cories.

So i'd probably run 5 outlets with what I have currently, but I'd like to run up to 20.

Edit: No auto filtering "cichlid" anymore? That was the best part of the board! :d
Last edited by Psy on 27 Jun 2014, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Nabobmob1
My articles: 1
My images: 38
My cats species list: 112 (i:39, k:0)
My BLogs: 40 (i:59, p:1622)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: North Chicagoland
Location 2: Northern IL
Interests: Catfish, Beer, Barbeque, Fishing and Music

Re: Fishroom Air

Post by Nabobmob1 »

I've got the smallest version of this and was able to run 30 lines but ran into issues with the deeper tanks. This one should be more than ample for your use.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-suppli ... air-3.html

Their are equations that can be done, but with only planning on 20 lines I'd just go with a slightly bigger than expected pump, the cost difference is minimal.
christiansen
My images: 1
My cats species list: 8 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:69)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Ploiesti
Location 2: Romania
Interests: rock climbing , 35 mm film photography and corydoras cats

Post by christiansen »

-pressure formula = height of water column [m] x water density (mass) [kg/m^3] = X kg/m^2
-there are online convertors to transform pressure kg/m^2 to psi , atm , MPa .
-so you can start from the total height of water column and find out the needed pressure or from the known pressure the pump can deliver and find out the total height of water column it can move. this forumla doesn't inclued the added pressure for airstones although !
pitbull13
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: omaha ne
Interests: plecos plecos and more plecos

Post by pitbull13 »

For the 120 get a 200 gallon pump and control valves and the other 2 the petco 100 g pump with control valves i have on on my 29 and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Tank Talk”