Health issue with a non catfish species

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Juiceyfish
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Charlottetown

Health issue with a non catfish species

Post by Juiceyfish »

Hey guys I'm really hard up for help .... I purchased a Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange head" two of them actually and one had a little spot on the side I noticed and thought maybe was just a nip mark or abrasion .... About a week into qt I noticed the spot getting more red with a white spot in the center .... And it had moved onto the left fin and then I decided to use Epsom salt and dewormer in the tank .... A few days later problem worsened so I decided to setup a qt and I placed him in it....I dosed the tank with Melafix , didn't work, tried with T.C. Tetracycline and that made things horrible... The fish seem to start getting pop er after 3 days of treatment so I immediately did a 50 percent water change everyday for a week and the eye seems to be getting better the the fin is still full of sores ! Please help ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Health issue with a non catfish species

Post by naturalart »

What do you mean: "it moved onto the left fin"? Did you actually see it move? If it is an ectoparasite you might want to consider "Clout". my 2¢
Juiceyfish

Post by Juiceyfish »

naturalart wrote:What do you mean: "it moved onto the left fin"? Did you actually see it move? If it is an ectoparasite you might want to consider "Clout". my 2¢
No there's no movement just seems like whatever was on the side decided to start growing on the fin and still leave the one red sore ... They look like red sores or ulcers or something red bubbly and white heads

bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

naturalart wrote:What do you mean: "it moved onto the left fin"? Did you actually see it move? If it is an ectoparasite you might want to consider "Clout". my 2¢
Naturalart, I think you may be right. The way Juiceyfish describes the appearance and spread of the sores, it makes me think parasite too. That said, a parasite is not the first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions pop-eye; I associate pop-eye with bacterial infections and water quality issues, or a combination -- bacterial infections in the presence of water quality problems.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Juiceyfish

Post by Juiceyfish »

Hmmm well I was planing on usuing parazi pro or wormer plus next after I get the pop eye to heal ..... Kinda hard to treat a problem when the other problem creates an issue where water has to be crystal clear ... So when the eye is pretty well healed I will go back to treating the sore .... Or should I be dosing the tank now with that stuff and never mind the eye?

Juiceyfish

Post by Juiceyfish »

Anyone else have any ideas of whT this health issue is?

naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

I would let the eye heal, then wait a week, then treat with "Clout".
Juiceyfish

Post by Juiceyfish »

Ok I will try as I've been keeping up with water changes !! Thks

Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I've had similar red stuff around fins in my fishes.

It never went away, but when the fishes were stressed, by fishts, illness or whatever, it went worse, flaming red, growing, and when the tress was gone, it went better. The red became pinkish, the stuff shrank - but it remained around.

I don't know what it is, but under normal circumstances the fishes immune system can cope with it. Only when stressed, stress hinders the immune system, will it grow.
cats have whiskers
Juiceyfish

Post by Juiceyfish »

Still can't seem to get it to heal up any other suggestions?

safrane
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:35)
Location 2: Germany

Post by safrane »

Hi,

I once had a similar problem with a Heros cichlid. At first it looked like an inflammation on the fin but it was a tumor-like tissue. It didn't go away but the fish didn't show any problems with that for a long time. About a half year after it occured the tumor spread within the body showing proliferation also on the mouth and the fish died a half year later.

But maybe it's just an inflammation on your fish. I had good experience with malachite green for treating inflammations.
Juiceyfish

Post by Juiceyfish »

safrane wrote:Hi,

I once had a similar problem with a Heros cichlid. At first it looked like an inflammation on the fin but it was a tumor-like tissue. It didn't go away but the fish didn't show any problems with that for a long time. About a half year after it occured the tumor spread within the body showing proliferation also on the mouth and the fish died a half year later.

But maybe it's just an inflammation on your fish. I had good experience with malachite green for treating inflammations.
Please go on...... Yours is the closest experience to what I have.... The fish is white and it seems to have red sores in the upper mouth between nose and mouth area and it is really red on all spots now were find come out of the body except the top and tail

safrane
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:35)
Location 2: Germany

Post by safrane »

It didn't seem infectous because the male is still healthy and the female died this year in spring.
Like I mentioned it didn't go away but I had the impression that sometimes the immun system was kind of fighting it back and the "tumor" was shrinking a bit. This happened when I changed the water not just once per week but twice and fed fresh food like prawn and fresh vegetables and not dry industry flakes. When I wasn't at come and couldn't change the water for two weeks it got worse. So I was trying to support her immun system with good treatment. The last week she also showed strange behavior that might be caused by neural deficiencies like everytime she tried to eat she snaped a bit off target and orientating got worse. In the end I had to release her from pain.
I'll try to find a photo.

I hope the best for you and your fish.

Return to “Tank Talk”