Bristlenose with Parasite

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Travis_Conklin
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Grand Prairie, Tx
Interests: Tattoo's & Fish

Bristlenose with Parasite

Post by Travis_Conklin »

I was watching my Bristlenose eat on the glass and notice what looks like appendages coming out of it anus and maybe a wing...the fishs anus also looks streched. Has anyone see this or know anything about it...I have him in a tank with some demosoni and have lost quite a few of them but I was chalking that up to feeding them some spirila enriched Brine shrimp causeing the Malwi Bloat. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try and get some pic's when he gets on the glass again.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Could you please add your location to your profile? Even the country is fine, if you're worried about stalkers. It just makes it easier to know what meds to recommend and what not if we know where in the world you're hailing from.

With that said, you should do a search for camallanus worms and see if that looks similar. I haven't ever seen one poo'ing anything with wings, but I'm sure there are things in the world that I've not seen that are even more strange ;).

Barbie
Last edited by Barbie on 12 Oct 2007, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Travis_Conklin
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Grand Prairie, Tx
Interests: Tattoo's & Fish

Post by Travis_Conklin »

Not camallanus worms have delt with those bad boys before this actually looks like a pure white bettle or fly looking insect in the anus. Have not had time to link photo's will try this weekend...
Bwhiskered
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Gardening

Pleco worms

Post by Bwhiskered »

I have had possibly the same problem with a couple of long fin albino bushynose plecos. I first noticed fine redish brown threads hanging from the anus. I have been able to get rid of them by holding the fish in a net and carefully pulling out the worms that are up to a 1/2" long out with a pair of fine nosed tweezers. After a few days I check and see if I got them all. I tried feeding pellets like Jungle Parasite Guard but they won't eat it. I am now giving them a bit of beef heart with garlic a couple of times a week to see if that will keep them clean. They still keep spawning so what I do does not harm them in any way. I should probably completely change and sterilize the sand in the tank incase it is harboring these worms.
Good fish are spawned and raised in Burlington.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”