Attempting Breeding of LO47,LO48

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Largato
Location 2: Manchester

Attempting Breeding of LO47,LO48

Post by Largato »

I have a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank with latge bogwood and some plants. It currently holds about 80 neon tetras and a small group of L169 tiger panaques.

I wish to attempt the breeding of Scobinancistrus cf. pariolispos (LO48) Baryancistrus sp. (L047).

Are the species compatable?Even though they are both from the Amazon will they like the same habitat or does L048 require clearer, more oxygenated water?
The main reason stated that LO48 has not been bred is that its quite a large plec, as is L047. Will my tank be big enough to accomodate breeding groups of both species? How many fish would you suggest for each group?
Will they prevent my tiger panaques breeding?
Does anyone have any additional advice for encouriging breeding besides season simulation?

Many thanks

Sam
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Re: Attempting Breeding of LO47,LO48

Post by drpleco »

That tank "might" be good for a pair/trio of ONE species. It certainly can't house groups of both if you want them to breed. They're also aggressive fish when large and even a 6' tank might not be enough space.

In addition, baryancistrus are very difficult to breed and it is VERY rarely done (never if you're a skeptic of Vires who "spawned" the gold nugget). L47's are also a difficult species to keep alive and grow VERY slowly due to their grazing nature. This very difficult to replicate in captivity without wrecking the water quality and killing the fish. L48's are a little hardier and faster growing, but nobody has spawned a scobiancistrus in captivity to my knowledge.

You'd be much better off tring something a little more managable in size like the L200, L75, or even L128 if you want a challenge. Or better yet, breed the tiger panaques. Those are a beautiful fish that has been bred before in wood caves.

Seems like a frustrating venture...but that's just my .02.
Largato

Post by Largato »

Thanks for your advice

I think I need to lower my aspirations for now then! I'l get some more tiger Panaques and try breeding them first. Your right, they are lovely!

despite the chances of breeding them being minimal, I really liked the look of the L047 and L048's and there are some really nice specimens at my local aquarists. Do you think if I bought a pair or trio of one of the two they would prevent the tiger panaques breeding?

I didn't realize the L047's were so difficult to keep. How is it difficult to replicate their diet in captivity? Do they require constant algal grazing? I did some research and asked at the aquarists where they have some healthy looking 2.5" specimens and they said they are omnivorous and as long as they are feeding well initially there should be no problems? http://tropicalresources.net/TR_profile ... f175258a92.

thanks for your advice,much appreciated.

Sam
Attachments
Here is my tank
Here is my tank
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It is very hard to determine if one species will or won't prevent some other species from breeding - the result depends on so many things.

One thing is clear: Keeping one species in one tank is definitely the best option - that way, you can control food and water conditions differently for each species.

For large species like L48 and L47, it's definitely a case of "you need a big tank, and patience", and the patience is even more important than the smaller species.

--
Mats
Lornek8
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kaneohe, HI

Post by Lornek8 »

Largato wrote: I didn't realize the L047's were so difficult to keep. How is it difficult to replicate their diet in captivity? Do they require constant algal grazing? I did some research and asked at the aquarists where they have some healthy looking 2.5" specimens and they said they are omnivorous and as long as they are feeding well initially there should be no problems? http://tropicalresources.net/TR_profile ... f175258a92.
They are not particularly difficult to keep. They can be difficult to acclimate & sometimes don't feed well in the beginning. The difficulty isn't feeding them its replicating their natural environment to get good growth out of them. For many aquarists, there fish just don't seem to grow much, even after years of captivity. So, you can see the difficulty in taking a 2.5" fish which grows to 12" or so but only shows an inch or so of growth after a couple of years of captivity.
Largato

Post by Largato »

.[/quote]
MatsP wrote:It is very hard to determine if one species will or won't prevent some other species from breeding - the result depends on so many things.

One thing is clear: Keeping one species in one tank is definitely the best option - that way, you can control food and water conditions differently for each species.

For large species like L48 and L47, it's definitely a case of "you need a big tank, and patience", and the patience is even more important than the smaller species.

--
Mats

I see, now I wish that i'd gone for a single species tank. i might try a group of L048 or L047. Im happy to be patient, let them mature.

They are not particularly difficult to keep. They can be difficult to acclimate & sometimes don't feed well in the beginning. The difficulty isn't feeding them its replicating their natural environment to get good growth out of them. For many aquarists, there fish just don't seem to grow much, even after years of captivity. So, you can see the difficulty in taking a 2.5" fish which grows to 12" or so but only shows an inch or so of growth after a couple of years of captivity

I found a good article that backs up what you say http://www.piranha-info.com/default.php?lang=en&id=L047. How do you think my tank will do for some L047's? What changes would you suggest? I think brighter light to encourage maximum algae but lots more wood for loads of shady hides. Having said that, im happy if they are just healthy and not growing huge.
Lornek8
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kaneohe, HI

Post by Lornek8 »

You should reread the page you linked. Judazzz (he's a member here) provides some good info there. Take another look at the Aquarum setup section.
taksan
My images: 3
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia and Uk
Location 2: Sydney and Surrey

Post by taksan »

Neither species are realistically breedable in tanks. While I know that both Baryancistrus and Scobinancistrus sp. have in fact been bred in captivity neither was of the types your thinking of and only one was spawned in a tank the other a pond. for a 6x2x2 I'd be getting some easier smaller fish if you want to breed them. But if you want to keep them ..then by all means both species are fantastic fish to keep.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”