L-239

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
abaigael04
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Texas, USA

L-239

Post by abaigael04 »

I know they eat plant matter but what would be the best variety for them to eat? I feed fresh veggies a few times a week, have driftwood in my tank and algae wafers... is that a good diet? Is there something else or how much of each should I give them (more veggies?)... Any other information on this Pl*c is welcome, too... Thank you!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: L-239

Post by racoll »

Sounds good.

Sweet potato, zucchini and fava beans are all proven vegetable foods.

Add some veg, and then remove it when it starts to go manky (if he doesn't eat it all). Then add some more.

Perhaps frozen bloodworm once a week would also be a good idea.

Remember to keep your water fairly warm for these fish (26-29C)
abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 »

My tank is about 79 F pretty consistently... maybe 78 F... so he should be good to go for temps... fava beans... never heard of feeding those but I will check them out! thanks! Any tips or anything else is appreciated as well! Should I leave veggies in there a lot? Like every day? Right now I feed veggies 2-3 times a week ...
I have frozen food that I alternate the kinds I buy (ATM I have bloodworm and mysis shrimp) and sinking pellets and tubifex worms... and micro wafers... any tips on acclimating or anything regarding this pl*c? I am searching online still, but thought I'd ask people who've experience!
racoll

Post by racoll »

2-3 times a week is fine. A varied diet is good.

I would be tempted to raise the temp to nearer 84F as they need all the help they can get when acclimating. So many of these fish die.

This species is notorious for being very difficult to acclimate, and warm well oxygenated water helps a lot. You can drop it after a few months.

Do you already own an L239?
abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 »

No I don't own him yet :) I have a quarantine tank set up though, so he will be in there and I can easily raise that temperature to whatever he needs to make it the easiest adjustment - with air stones... I have been reading they should not get much meat though and this is why I was asking about how often I should give him veggies, etc...
racoll

Post by racoll »

In my experience, it is good to give vegetarian plecos meaty food, but only when accompanied by vegetables and wood to graze on, so they stay "regular".

Only buy a plec that has been in the store for over one month and can be seen to be feeding in the shop. Make sure it is alert, hiding, and does not have sunken eyes or belly.

Also make sure your quarantine tank is fully cycled with a decent filter. Adding a variety of foods into a small tank with a crappy immature filter is a quick way to kill a delicate pleco.

I hope this helps you

:D
abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 »

I have all those things checked off... working on the Q tank still but it will be done... I am actually going out to buy a small heater for it (it is at 78 F right now) at your suggestion I slowly lower temp but keep it high at first... Unfortunately I can not get a specimen that has been in the shop for a month as I have to order him - so I just want as much info as possible to make his transition easy... This is the first fish I have NOT bought locally (for that exact reason) and I am a bit nervous about it! My filter is for 2x my Q tank size, too... :) I will warm it up and put in an air stone for him so when I get him my tank is fully ready... I have TONS of wood in my main tank and I can EASILY move a small piece to my Q tank for him, too. Thank you...
inkyjenn
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: so cal
Location 2: u.s.a.
Interests: fish, art, reading

Post by inkyjenn »

be careful with new additions. i quarantine all my new fish and im so glad i do. i picked up an apparently lovely 3" L-239 for $20. turns out the poor little guy is infested with body flukes. they can be a little tricky to feed (see my thread about panicking!). hes got a second bout of body flukes, but is finally eating like a champ. little guy loves cory wafers and apparently broccoli. if you have trouble getting them to eat, try the methods in my thread and turning the lights out. now the little guy gobbles up whatever is offered with minimal hesitation and doesnt care if the lights are on or off.
25 gallon red cherry shrimp only tank
29 gallon green spotted puffer tank
55 community tank
75 monster tank

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”