L200 eating my plants what to do?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
tat
Location 2: Portugal

L200 eating my plants what to do?

Post by tat »

Hello,

I think my L200 is eating the leaves of my anubias and echinodorus.
On the beginning I though there was some kind of nutrient deficiency but after catching the L200 on top of the echinodorus, I am almost certain he is the responsible.

The L200 is around 18 months very active, he is the only loricariidae, and the largest fish on the tank (120L) with 11 cms.

My question is, there is something I can do to make him stop eating the plants?

Thanks!

Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: L200 eating my plants what to do?

Post by Richard B »

That is indeed pleco damage to the plants. Try feeding fresh veggies more often. Courgette, cucumber, potato, sweet potato, avocado, celery, cabbage, brocoli, peas, beans etc should be more preferable to anubias leaves - still add in tablets, earthworm sticks, algae tabs etc.

Lots of 'pleco' types are continual grazers so it appears you haven't quite found the balance of amount/regularity of food offered & your fish are hungry
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
tat

Post by tat »

Hi,

I think you are right, I haven't found the correct amount of food I should provide to my bottom fishes. Besides the L200, I still have 5 amano shrimps, 3 sterbais, 2 khulies and 1 SAE (this one is a eating monster!).

I will start this feeding regime:
Monday: Zuchini
Tuesday: Sera wels-chips
Wednesday: Zuchini
Thursday: Spirulina Tabs
Friday: Brocoli
Saturday: Nutrafin EarthWorm tabs
Sunday: No feeding

Seems ok to you?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Unless there are vast amounts left over (or water quality starts suffering), there is no problem with feeding this fish EVERY day with vegetables.

--
Mats
Aquavis
Location 2: De Meern, the Netherlands

Post by Aquavis »

tat wrote:My question is, there is something I can do to make him stop eating the plants?
Remove the plants :))

My group of L200 is also eating all green I put in. Only Microsorium pteropus (i don't know the commen english word..) is surviving.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

Yah, I had this problem with my supposedly "carnivorous" leporacanthicus (L264, which later died during the tank upgrade in summer 2009, and L91) on echinodorus. I changed tanks, and the tank is too deep for echinidorus (not enough light), but fine for anubias. So far my L91 hasn't bother the anubias.

But then again, I have a "cage" around the base of the anubias. I noticed with the echinodorus that they seem to like the base of the plant. For my anubias, I got one of the plastic cage/net pots plants come in (in the plant plug), cut out the bottom, thread the plant through it, and planted it and the plant in the gravel. See if this works.

In another tank, I have L07, with echindorus (red leaves). I planted it in a clay pot with flourite, and I have the pot elevated on some driftwood, about 6 inches from the surface (of a 75g tank). No problems.

So bottom line: try some type of protection for the plant base, and/or have the plant closer to the surface (away from the preferred plec habitat).
tat

Post by tat »

MatsP wrote:Unless there are vast amounts left over (or water quality starts suffering), there is no problem with feeding this fish EVERY day with vegetables.

--
Mats
Thanks.
I will follow your advice, and start feeding every day some vegetables.

He loves zuchinni! I also tried pumpkin and broccoli but he does not seem to be a big fan.
tat

Post by tat »

Aquavis wrote:
tat wrote:My question is, there is something I can do to make him stop eating the plants?
Remove the plants :))

My group of L200 is also eating all green I put in. Only Microsorium pteropus (i don't know the commen english word..) is surviving.
Microsorium pteropus is Java Fern.

I have other plants on the aquarium, which he does not touch: Java Fern, Vallisnerias, Echinodorus Ozelot and echinodorus angustifolius. The most damaged plants are the anubias, and the echinodorus bleheri.
I think the beast likes hard plants, with large leaves that can support its weight.
tat

Post by tat »

Linus_Cello wrote:Yah, I had this problem with my supposedly "carnivorous" leporacanthicus (L264, which later died during the tank upgrade in summer 2009, and L91) on echinodorus. I changed tanks, and the tank is too deep for echinidorus (not enough light), but fine for anubias. So far my L91 hasn't bother the anubias.

But then again, I have a "cage" around the base of the anubias. I noticed with the echinodorus that they seem to like the base of the plant. For my anubias, I got one of the plastic cage/net pots plants come in (in the plant plug), cut out the bottom, thread the plant through it, and planted it and the plant in the gravel. See if this works.

In another tank, I have L07, with echindorus (red leaves). I planted it in a clay pot with flourite, and I have the pot elevated on some driftwood, about 6 inches from the surface (of a 75g tank). No problems.

So bottom line: try some type of protection for the plant base, and/or have the plant closer to the surface (away from the preferred plec habitat).
Thanks for the advice.
The protections you described won't ruin the aquarium aesthetic ?
You have any pics with those plants and those cages, so I can figure it you exactly what are you talking about?

Thanks
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

tat wrote:
Linus_Cello wrote:Yah, I had this problem with my supposedly "carnivorous" leporacanthicus (L264, which later died during the tank upgrade in summer 2009, and L91) on echinodorus. I changed tanks, and the tank is too deep for echinidorus (not enough light), but fine for anubias. So far my L91 hasn't bother the anubias.

Thanks for the advice.
The protections you described won't ruin the aquarium aesthetic ?
You have any pics with those plants and those cages, so I can figure it you exactly what are you talking about?

Thanks
I'm on travel. I'll try to post pics when I get back. The plastic "cage" is black, and in that tank, the gravel is black, so it sort of blends in (also, it's behind a clay log). The clay pot is hidden behind some driftwood.
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

Linus_Cello wrote: I'm on travel. I'll try to post pics when I get back. The plastic "cage" is black, and in that tank, the gravel is black, so it sort of blends in (also, it's behind a clay log). The clay pot is hidden behind some driftwood.
Here are the pics I promised.
Attachments
P1010133.JPG
P1010132.JPG

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”