wood for L-numbers

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

wood for L-numbers

Post by jp11biod »

I have not been able to find a single good source of information for different types of wood that are safe for aquariums.

I have wood-eaters and non wood eating L-numbers. What kinds of wood native to the American midwest can I use and do they need to be treated (other than sinking?)

I have also seen some incredible discus display tanks with awesome wood arrangements that are likely some kind of tree root. The one tank at Discus Hans just about took my breath away. Does anyone know what kind of wood that is?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am really enjoying the L numbers and cories

tanks much!
firefish11
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: Louisville, KY
Location 2: Louisville, KY
Interests: Computers, German Cars, and South American fish!

Re: wood for L-numbers

Post by firefish11 »

Normally just needs 2 b a hardwood. If u can press ur thumb nail into the wood and leave an impression its probably not a good piece for the tank
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Most broadleaf wood is safe, there are relatively few poisonous types of wood. Unfortunately I don't know much about US plants, here in Sweden some to avoid are rhododendron, yew (Taxus), and chestnut (Juglans and Aesculus).

FWIW: Commonly used local wood is oak (Quercus), beech (Fagus), alder (Alnus), birch (Betula), lilac (Syringa), maple (Acer) and willow (Salix). Conifer wood is generally not used unless it's spent a long time in water and lost most of its resin. Softer wood (e.g. alder) is more easily eaten by wood-eating catfish, which may or may not be an advantage to you.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

firefish11 wrote:Normally just needs 2 b a hardwood. If u can press ur thumb nail into the wood and leave an impression its probably not a good piece for the tank
So, the technical definition of hardwood is "broadleaved trees" (as opposed to "conifers" with needles), and as Wikipedia says: "Hardwoods are not necessarily harder than softwoods. In both groups there is an enormous variation in actual wood hardness, with the range in density in hardwoods completely including that of softwoods; some hardwoods (e.g. balsa) are softer than most softwoods, while yew is an example of a hard softwood0."

I have used apple and cherry wood as well as a few different of the ones Mike mentions.

--
Mats
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

MatsP wrote:"Hardwoods are not necessarily harder than softwoods"
That's part of the reason why I avoid the terms softwood/hardwood; in addition I'm also unsure if the terms softwood/hardwood are used outside the US.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
firefish11
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: Louisville, KY
Location 2: Louisville, KY
Interests: Computers, German Cars, and South American fish!

Post by firefish11 »

As always Mats makes a good point, sorry should have been more specific. Mopani and Malaysian are easy to find at most lfs. I've used stuff out of the yard before couldn't really say what it is but if u can dent it I've found it doesn't last long. :)
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Post by Firestorming »

I use mangrove wood that I collect and soak for long periods of time. It is usually riddled with marine borer holes and is physically "soft". It does put quite a bit of tannin in the water but my panaques love to chew right into it and all my other cats graze off it quite a bit.
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
jp11biod

Post by jp11biod »

good information, please keep it coming.....
Matt30
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:9, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 3 (i:8, p:100)
Location 2: England. Surrey ,Caterham

Post by Matt30 »

Hi I found this piece of Sumatran Driftwood, with a little help of a mate that works in my not so LFS, I liked it so much I had a tank built round it!
dispatch.png
"Justice is coming to all of us no matter what we do"-WATCHMEN
jp11biod

Post by jp11biod »

does anyone know of which roots or wood that looks like wood?? I am thinking long and wavy as opposed to most wood found for aquariums--

JS
CoryWally
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:75)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Boston Spa, West Yorks, U.K.

Post by CoryWally »

Matt30 wrote:Hi I found this piece of Sumatran Driftwood, with a little help of a mate that works in my not so LFS, I liked it so much I had a tank built round it!
dispatch.png
Hey Matt30, That's real dedication! If you ever decide to put fish in with your piece of wood, you're going to have so much fun if you decide to net them again!

I use fruit tree wood and fallen branches from oak and beech, all seem fine.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Apart from purpose bought bogwood/mopani etc i use beech branches - fresh off the tree at times. Occasionally if i'm beachcombing i can find a nice piece of wood that has been well weathered: probably immersed in saltwater for an age then dried in the sun and wind.

When farmers are removing hedges etc you can occasionally find amazing root pieces although these need a lot of cleaning or where we in the UK have canals with adjacent trees like birch, at low water clumps of wispy root mass can be collected.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

For some breath-taking wood pieces in the US, check out the below links (manzanita wood). My fish club did a group buy 1.5 years ago and bought a bunch (maybe your fish club can do a group buy).

http://manzanita.com/aqwood.htm
http://manzanita.com/stumps/page1/page1.htm
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

jp11biod wrote:does anyone know of which roots or wood that looks like wood?? I am thinking long and wavy as opposed to most wood found for aquariums--

JS
I think I recall seeing grape-vine wood/burls as being "long and wavy." Again, you can also get this type of wood with manzanita:
http://manzanita.com/staffs.htm
http://manzanita.com/sticks2.htm
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

The commonly available "Malaysian" bog wood works well with Panaque species.
All the on line fish supplies vendors stock it and the small pieces are cheap which makes them an affordable sacrificial "food wood" for Panaque spp. I have had L204 demolish them within just a few years.
They do leach tannins excessively for months so you may want to use activated carbon awhile to keep the water clear unless you don't mind a strong water tint for the first several months.
I also collect natice deciduous shrubbery root drift wood from local rivers which is accepted well by Panaque spp
I haven't kept any Panaque since I sold my dozen adult L204 several years ago and I do not miss their messiness.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
You want soft, partially rotted wood as a food for Panaque spp., as well as harder structural wood for resting places etc. This finding came from Dr Donovan German's work with Panaque spp. This is a quote (from an email from Dr German:
...... So, just to summarize what I think these fish are doing… the wood-eating catfishes dig into decaying wood and efficiently digest wood degradation products that environmental microbes are making available as they degrade wood. The fish also have elevated digestive enzyme activities (e.g., N-acetyl-b-D-glucosaminidase) suggestive that they digest fungi within the wood matrix. Thus, they likely get “energy” from the degraded wood. The stable isotopic signatures (carbon and nitrogen) of wild-caught wood-eating catfishes certainly suggest that they get their protein from fungi and amorphous detritus, and we find periphyton and amorphous detritus in their guts (in addition to the wood; see the “inside the guts” paper where I do a detailed gut content analysis of wild-caught fish). Basically, the fish have to get their nitrogen from somewhere other than the wood detritus (there isn’t much N in wood anyway). The fish certainly ingest wood, they just don’t use the same “pathway” to obtain energy from it as a termite. Rather than harbouring an endosymbiotic community, they let the microbes in the environment do the work for them. This may be a function of living in an aquatic environment
More details here:
<http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 14&t=32382>

cheers Darrel

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”