Otocinclus for a Orinico biotype

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Otocinclus for a Orinico biotype

Post by catfishchaos »

Hello everybody

Some of you might have seen my other thread where I am making a biotype for in another forum and that thread can be located here http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =7&t=42018

I felt I should post here because it is a Loricariidae family member I'm inquiring about. I am trying to find an Ideal species of Otocinclus for a 29 gallon tank community theme. The planned stock list currently is as follows:

7-12
3-4
5-6

In this setup there is going to be a few tangles of branches, some stone and a couple plants from the Echinodorus family and I think Otocinclus would be Ideal for the job of keeping things clean (I would obviously be feeding them prepared foods as well). I really like however their location just states Amazon, I remain unsure if the Amazon feeds into the Orinico (It doesn't appear to on my maps). If doesn't fit the biotype, then can you recommend a species that will? I know fits the bill but I would like something a little less common.

Regards
James
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: Otocinclus for a Orinico biotype

Post by racoll »

and are both Llanos species, and therefore not biotope correct at all. is from the Upper Amazon in Peru, and is not found anywhere near the Upper Orinoco.

You need to be looking at for your Atabapo biotope tank.
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

not to mention, but your tank seems fully stocked IMO
What's your favorite Dressing~~
racoll

Post by racoll »

Yeah, I thought the same thing. That's a lot of fish for a small tank.

I would just keep the Tatia and the Dicrossus.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

racoll wrote: and are both Llanos species, and therefore not biotope correct at all. is from the Upper Amazon in Peru, and is not found anywhere near the Upper Orinoco.

You need to be looking at for your Atabapo biotope tank.

not sure understand this completely, If these fish are not from the Orinico then Catelog needs to be updated as I found these fish by clicking on the Orinico link (see other species from this area link)

Would just the 5-6 , 3-4 and a group of 7-8 be ok in that size tank?
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
racoll

Post by racoll »

They are from the Orinoco drainage, but what I mean to say is that "Orinoco" is not a biotope any more than "Africa" is a biotope. It's a huge area comprising some very different environments.

A biotope is a specific habitat from a specific place at a specific point in time.

If you want to keep random Orinoco fishes together, that's no problem, but it has little biological meaning.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”