Sturisoma/Rineloricaria/Farlowella

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Nativeguy
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Va
Location 2: USA
Interests: Anything made up of cells.

Sturisoma/Rineloricaria/Farlowella

Post by Nativeguy »

Hi all!
I currently have a female farlowella (presumed vittata) and I am hoping to get a mate pretty soon. My tank is a 26 gallon bowfront with a school of 9 cherry barbs and an african butterfly fish. My question is, my lfs occasionally has a species of sturisoma/rineloricaria that I have not taken time to id yet as I do not have photos. Would it be ok to add a pair to my current setup? Or should I set up a 20 long on my rack for breeding? Would a 20 long be too small? If you need to know the species to answer these questions then I will try to find out this weekend.
Thanks,
Cole
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Re: Sturisoma/Rineloricaria/Farlowella

Post by Mol_PMB »

My Farlowellas like to sucker to the glass vertically, or rest on angled branches. Adults are 8-9" long. In a tall tank it's fine but the adults don't like tanks where the water depth isn't much more than their own length.
The tank doesn't need to be more than 2' long but it should be 18" deep or more. In a shallower tank I had one jump out when startled, and another just hid in the back corner.

Juveniles are fine in a shallower tank.
Nativeguy
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Va
Location 2: USA
Interests: Anything made up of cells.

Re: Sturisoma/Rineloricaria/Farlowella

Post by Nativeguy »

Then I will plan on keeping them in the 26. Do you think a pair of sturisoma would be too much bioload in addition to the current stocking?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”