Sands?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
DHarris
My cats species list: 69 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: California

Sands?

Post by DHarris »

I'm in the process of moving and just had a new 150 gallon aquarium delivered. I keep waffling on substrates and would value some opinions.

In my current set up I have black ecocomplete as it was a beautiful planted tank prior to my catching the pleco bug.
I generally like the look but want something softer that will be easier for fish to sift and won't irritate my cory's barbels.
I've also just come across a batch of chameleon loricaria, that I put on hold so I'm thinking sand is the way to go so they can bury. I already have a pair of two rayed banjos and a pair of eel tail banjos that are constantly trying to bury in the eco complete.

I love the look of the Tahitian Moon Sand, but have read MANY conflicting opinions of it for the uses I'm intending. I was able to feel some today and it did seem rather sharp.

The easy and cheap answer is play sand. Though I don't love the look, I don't mind it as it's about as natural as it gets (was thinking of the caribsea peace river but not sure if the grains are too large, thoughts?)
Here's my concern, which is 100% selfish and superficial, I've got a pair of L091 and a pair of l168. LOVE the three beacon's pure black look and my butterfly's super contrasty stripes, they're just stunning. If I were to put them on play sand, would my l091 turn the light brown color and would the l168 still be contrasty or get that not so great muddy look?

Gotta buy whatever I'm getting ASAP so any input is immensely appreciated. Thanks!
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Sands?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am a big fan of the Caribsea substrates. The problem is they are not cheap.

Specifications

Crystal River
Average Small Grain Size: 0.2 mm
Average Large Grain Size: 0.5 mm
Suitable for Planted Aquariums: Yes

Moonlight Sand/Marine Sand
Average Small Grain Size: 0.1 mm
Average Large Grain Size: 0.3 mm
Suitable for Planted Aquariums: No

Peace River
Average Small Grain Size: 1.0 mm
Average Large Grain Size: 2.0 mm

Rio Grande
Average Small Grain Size: 3.0 mm
Average Large Grain Size: 5.0 mm

Sunset Gold
Average Small Grain Size: 0.1 mm
Average Large Grain Size: 0.4 mm

Torpedo Beach
Average Small Grain Size: 0.2 mm
Average Large Grain Size: 1.2 mm

I use the Torpedo beach and love it. With sand one issue is vacuuming it. The smaller the grain size, the easier it is for it to get sucked up and out when you clean the substrate. You can see pictures of each of the above here, just click on the one you want to see in the big circle http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=21412 Note the grains of Torpedo beach are pretty well rounded. I do not keep fish that like to bury themselves, so I cannot say how easy it is on the Torpedo Beach. That link takes you to their substartaes that are supposed to help cycle a tank. They are also available as plain sand but you would need to find another place to buy that as FosterSmith only stocks Instant Aquarium version and you probably want the Super Natural version as is shown here http://www.amazon.com/Caribsea-Naturals ... B0002APML0
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
DHarris
My cats species list: 69 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Los Angeles

Post by DHarris »

Thank you for that awesome breakdown of the grain sized. If I skip the TMS (which I still may go with) I do think the peace river looks quite nice.

Assuming that anything from the peace river down in grain size will be OK for cories and other fish that like to bury, my main concern is coloration of the fish.

Hoping to avoid the butterfly pleco turning the muddied brown look and looking it's incredible black and yellow markings. I'd also prefer to keep my three beacons looking nice and black and not the brown spotted look.

Anyone have experience with these fish on less contrasty substrates?
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

L52 I feel look best on green or brown; the color contrast will be good when they are on driftwood. On black gets too muddy. As for l91 yes I think a light substrate would not be good for them I think they would become lighter in color.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Dont know if you've done this yet but, just in general, whatever substrate you are thinking of choosing, look at a sample under a microscope or magnifier. Film loops only cost you a couple of bucks. If you see sharp or jagged edges, obviously step away from the product.
Aquaticus
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:38)
Location 1: Middleton, Wisconsin
Location 2: United States

Post by Aquaticus »

Get pool filter sand. I don't know what is available in California, but the stuff here in Wisconsin is beautiful. I have chameleon whiptails on it, and they look great.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

All of the ADA sand I have used (smallest grain size) so far are fantastic and all of the fish never seem to have a problem with it. nice variety of colours as well but the price is a little high.
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”