Sad day in the fish room

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Sad day in the fish room

Post by Narwhal72 »

Well it's been a disheartening week in my fish room.

I brought back some nice cichlids from the ACA convention and put them into a holding tank in my central system. It had been a long time since I bought fish from anywhere other than a local breeder and I was careless. My UV sterilizer lamp had burned out and I wasn't paying attention and soon my whole central system was infected with ick.

Last night I removed the carcasses of my 3 Gold Nugget plecos that I had been growing out for the last 4 years. Lost a group of 4 year old Satanoperca daemon also. My L226 colony and the large Royal plecos in the system look terrible but haven't succumbed yet. Ick is on just about everything.

Did two treatments with ick medication over the weekend and got the UV back up and running last night. Put on a smaller portable UV on one tank also. Tank temperature is up to 83 degrees and still climbing (will stall it at 86 degrees). Hopefully the losses will slow down.

Only good news is that once it is all said and done, I will relieve some of the overcrowding in my non-system tanks.

Andy
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Sad day in the fish room

Post by bekateen »

That's awful, Andy. Sorry for your loss.

Regards, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Sorry to hear about your losses. I have been having some issues recently as well, so I know exactly how you are feeling.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

That's horrible. Hang in there.
nabulus
Location 1: San Francisco
Location 2: USA

Post by nabulus »

Good luck with the treatment.
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Post by pleconut »

Sorry to hear this news. Check instructions on ick treatment container. Some at least of those available in uk, state not to use with UV filtration. Though some can be used in conjunction with UV.
Thanks Teresa
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

I ran the ick medication with the UV off. After 3 days of treatment I did some large water changes and put the UV back on.

I generally try to avoid using medications and often just manipulate temperature to treat parasites. But in my central system it takes a long time to heat up.

Andy
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

My condolences.

A past speaker (Joe Gargas) at our fish club uses a vortex diatom filter, and according to him it takes care of the ich cysts.
http://www.diatomfilter.com/
Aquaticus
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:38)
Location 1: Middleton, Wisconsin
Location 2: United States

Post by Aquaticus »

Sorry to hear about that, Andy.
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Joe Gargas was speaking here recently.

I have used Vortex diatoms in the past and still run a Tetra Diatomagic for regular polishing. IME they are never effective at disease treatment. Prevention maybe. But in a 10 tank central system appropriately sized and functioning UV's work best.
toby
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Canada

Post by toby »

Sorry to hear about the loss. Easy to say and I've been there but try and not beat yourself up over it - accidents happen even to the most experienced people in all hobbies - we get caught up in every day life and let something slip we wouldn't otherwise.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Sorry about the loss. I'm having a case of ICK in my growout tank right now as well. First I used a medication I didn't use before and when it did not show effect after 3 days, I switched to Esha Exit and now after 2 days of treatment it's almost all gone. This medication seems to work really well and it's actually really cheap. Does not harm snails or shrimps. I never lost a pleco to ick and I'm positive it's thanks to this medicine. It's like 3,99€ on amazon and usually has an expiration date of something like 2 years. It's really handy to have one at home. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to sell this stuff, but I read too many sad ICK incidents lately and I feel there could be less casualties with this medicine.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Well I think it has worked itself out of the system. Fish are back to normal and I don't see any spots.

Total losses were the following:
3 Gold Nuggets
5 x L226
4 x L180 (whole colony)
4 x L411 (whole colony)
1 x Longfin Blue eye albino BN. A really beautiful specimen
3 x Retroculus xinguensis
3 x Guianacara dacrya
6 x Satanoperca daemon
1 x Rainbow cichlid

Loricariids took the brunt of the infection. Lost most of the ones in the system. Only survivors were two large Royals and a group of L020. Corydoras were unaffected and amazingly enough so were the tetras in the system. There was one Tatia musaica that I saw one night with a lot of spots but I haven't seen any body so far.

Will keep the system on quarantine for another month before shuffling fish around.

Andy
plecoboy
My cats species list: 9 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:63)
Location 2: De Pere, WI
Interests: plecos

Post by plecoboy »

That sucks. Sorry for the losses. I had a similar experience and lost all but 1 of my breeding lower Rio xingus and a pair of L260s.
Breeding List: L46,L66,L129,L136a,L183,L201,L260,L270,L333,L340,L400,L411, and Lower Rio Xingus
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Still finding more losses. Found some dead Trachelichthys exilis in one of the smaller tanks on the system. Moved the portable UV over to that tank.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA

Post by Barbie »

I recently had a really resistant strain of ich at the shop. It did not look like normal ich under the scope and it was not sensitive to the proform C treatments that usually are very effective. We ended up curing it with a 5 dose treatment, every other day of a product called MinnFinn. It was a little hard on a few species, but it did completely eradicate the bug from the system. It might be at least worth checking into.

I currently have a litter of puppies and their mama dog has been quite ill, so I'm sorry I'm just now seeing this thread :(.

Barbie
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Thanks for the info Barbie. I will look for that medication. Hoping to bring some fish back from Catcon and it will be good to have on hand.

Seems like the woodcats were the last to go. Lost all of them. Other fish and corys look fine now and are all eating good.

Keeping the system on quarantine for another month and adding another system UV for the future.

Andy
mountainman36
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:119)
Location 2: Atlanta Georgia USA

Post by mountainman36 »

we use minnfinn in my pond business - be careful of it with catfish. im not sure how it would do with them. its potent stuff, but works amazingly well.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA

Post by Barbie »

Read the instructions is definitely going to be top on the list of recommendations as it doesn't work the same for all species, but I did use it on 40 or 50 species of catfish, before I recommended trying it ;).

Barbie
Annamtau
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by Annamtau »

So sorry for your losses!! Truly heartbreaking.

I am scared to death right now as I am encountering my first experience with ich in my tank. Noticed some small white spots on a couple of ram cichlids in my community tank that has a 6/7 in snowball plec, a young LF albino, another 2 yo male albino, tetras & an elephant nose.

I had at home a product called ich-x, never used.. but on hand if ever the need arose; so seeing as it did, I dosed ~ 75% the recommended dose and the elephant nose was dead in 12 hrs. I noticed it acting funny instantly & did a 50% h2o chg immediately, but it wasn't enough. Now I'm scared to continue treatment-- LFS recommended 50% dose split into morning & evening & 20-30% h2o changes/ day.
Any advice ?? I don't want to lose anymore fish to the wrong treatment!! Also upped aquarium temp to 81, added some extra salt.. Any help would be great!
And again-- Narwhal72, I'm sorry!!!
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

As posted before, I had really good experience with Esha Exit. Dose it just as the package says. Did never harm any of my fishes. Sadly I don't know about the availability outside of Europe :-(

Barbie used something else that should be available in the US, just read through the thread and you should find it.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”