L397 Antics.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

L397 Antics.

Post by pleconut »

Hi Folks,
For the first time in quite a while, having some difficulties with my L397 group of 6, 3m 3f. Been breeding over the summer, I did think they had wound down for a while. I had babies in the tank that were rehomed during the week. Having removed decor, (wood) in order to catch them, and put tank back together, with slightly different layout, again the breeding started, I found two males on eggs, and that evening another trapping. Next day female had escaped, she has some superficial bites/scratches, so does the male, the others have also. I also found one egg in tank. Wasn't any in caves, so I'm not sure what happened to the ones, the other two males where fanning. Tensions are quite high generally, but especially between two females that are bickering over one male. I haven't had problems up until now. Any suggestions on how I can possibly calm things down, reducing temp helps but I have two very gravid females, then running the risk of becoming eggbound. Params are as normal, (I can list them). Injuries are very superficial but maintaining clean conditions. l but I'm quite concerned about the apparent fighting.
Thanks Teresa
pleconut

L397 Antics.

Post by pleconut »

Hi Folks,
For the first time in quite a while, having some difficulties with my L397 group of 6, 3m 3f. Been breeding over the summer, I did think they had wound down for a while. I had babies in the tank that were rehomed during the week. Having removed decor, (wood) in order to catch them, and put tank back together, with slightly different layout, again the breeding started, I found two males on eggs, and that evening another trapping. Next day female had escaped, she has some superficial bites/scratches, so does the male, the others have, but not to so much if a degree, also. I found one egg in tank. Wasn't any in caves, so I'm not sure what happened to the ones the other two males where fanning. Tensions are quite high generally, but especially between two females that are bickering over one male. I haven't had problems up until now. Any suggestions on how I can possibly calm things down, reducing temp helps but I have two very gravid females, then running the risk of becoming eggbound. Params are as normal, (I can list them). Injuries are very superficial but maintaining clean conditions all the same. l but I'm quite concerned about the apparent fighting.
Thanks Teresa
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: L397 Antics.

Post by catfishchaos »

Is it possible the rescape increased the distance of vision they have within the tank? If so try and break up the vision of one anothers territories by rescaping again and perhaps spacing the caves further apart.

I hope this helps but if it doesn't I could see picture of the tank being an asset in determining how to approach this issue!
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
pleconut

Re: L397 Antics.

Post by pleconut »

Possibly, or just moving the babies and the rescape itself has unsettled them, territories are broken up enough, just they won't stay in their own! I could just as easily put it back as before and see if that helps, there's tensions to a degree when a pair spawn, but not as bad as this time.I haven't taken a pic since the tank rescape but will when I turn lights on tommorow.
Thanks Teresa

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”