Brazil Export Bans?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Brazil Export Bans?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I realize that IBAMA already has zebra pleocs listed as endangered. However, I was recently told that they were about to be put on the CITES list as well in the near future. Has anybody heard about this or any other Xingucentric species about to be added by CITES?

Edit: I have just confirmed that effective Jan 2, 2017 Hypancistrus will be on the Cites list under Appendix III. They are also adding a lot of rays from Brazil and Colombia. It looks like all rays will not be allowed for export from Brazil.

Here is the reference https://cites.org/sites/default/files/n ... 16-056.pdf

The following is their description of Appendix III:
Appendix III is a list of species included at the request of a Party that already regulates trade in the species and that needs the cooperation of other countries to prevent unsustainable or illegal exploitation (see Article II, paragraph 3, of the Convention). International trade in specimens of species listed in this Appendix is allowed only on presentation of the appropriate permits or certificates. (See Article V of the Convention)

Species may be added to or removed from Appendix I and II, or moved between them, only by the Conference of the Parties, either at its regular meetings or by postal procedures (see Article XV of the Convention). But species may be added to or removed from Appendix III at any time and by any Party unilaterally (although the Conference of the Parties has recommended that changes be timed to coincide with amendments to Appendices I and II).
from https://www.cites.org/eng/app/index.php

Basically, Brazil is asking for other countries to help curtail the removal of these species from the Xingu. I guess they feel strongly that its their right to kill them all rather than let them leave the country.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

This list are old and not valid http://www.ibama.gov.br/areas-tematicas ... ntais/tudo

They have not updated their homepage, the last and valid permitted list are INI n1, de 3 de janeiro de 2012 - Ornamentais.

CITES app III don't forbid export of a specie, if the species not are in any endangered list and are permitted for example through quotas like Potamotrygon species, they are allowed to be exported but need a CITES permit provided by authorities and if a third country want to export the same species they need a certificate of origin, to list these species in CITES app III are the only real tool a country has to improve the control of illegal trade and other countries will help them to do it.

Some popular species was added in the new endangered list December 2014, this list was suspended by court decision for 1 year for further research and investigations of species that are in doubts if they really are either vulnerable or endangered, nothing happened and no one did nothing, maybe because of the political turbulence in this country. From December 2015 the industry had 6 months to adapt to the new endangered list but no information what so ever was provided by authorities to the industry. End of June 2016 the list become in practice and species listed become forbidden to collect and to export, the industry was allowed to export their stocks that was informed to IBAMA, except in the state of Pará where the local IBAMA office made their own translation of the new laws and did not permit export of remaining stock (federal law permitted export of remaining stock until August 14). In a meeting in Brasilia end of August ICMBio postponed the new endangered list until October 31 but only short time after this meeting a new court decision was made that suspended the new endangered list until 1st March 2017, if no one do nothing before that the new list will become in practice.

Janne
CharlieM9
My cats species list: 72 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:3, p:724)
Location 2: USA

Post by CharlieM9 »

Great information thanks Janne!
HaakonH
My articles: 2
My images: 363
My catfish: 1
Spotted: 226
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Location 2: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Fish fish fish!

Post by HaakonH »

So if nobody does anything, the new list of species no longer allowed for export will be valid from March 2017? Who must do something to stop this? And how? Is it likely that the list will become reality, or is it likely that someone will be able to stop it?

The proposed list of species, is it the same we heard about this summer (L14, L134, L264 and so on), or has it chenged?

Haakon
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

ICMBio need to re-evaluate these species in the endangered list that not are endangered, maybe make the same they did before December 2014 by inviting +1000 researchers in Brazil to answer a questionnaire of 5 questions if I remember correct, for species they thought should be in the new endangered list, have some online workshops etc. without asking any fisherman or any people involved in the ornamental fishery activity??

Several species was listed as precaution due lack of information, for example species in Tapajos basin was listed because Brazil plan in the future to build a new dam in Sao Luis, that argument is not valid since there are no one building a dam in Sao Luis and it will probably never happen, Brazil has no money.

I think by asking to many researchers and to not involve people that work in the ornamental fishery, there are many errors and guessing, it's also a wide lack of knowledge and with that I don't mean that researchers in person not has any knowledge, I mean there are other problem like not enough money to make a good research for example the distribution of a species, I'm absolutely sure there are researchers that put a species in this list because they only know it occur in a certain small area when in reality has a very large distribution not researched by science, it does cost quite a lot of money if you for example want to map the distribution of Scobinancistrus aureatus or pariolispos when their real distribution has an area as France or almost the size of Europe. There are also a lack of knowledge of natural reproductive behavior of species and how reproductive they really are or not are in some cases, for example many species does reproduce all the year around and not only under a certain time, how we know that are easy since we always find babies in all months of a year, some species has a peak season other a short season. I believe that main reason for such lack of knowledge are in most cases money, there are many good researchers in Brazil but may not have enough money to make larger projects and in some cases if they have they are not good a administrator handling the money, it's quite expensive making good research.

The new list published is "Portaria 445" and it include the species you list and some more.

Janne

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”