Sexing my CW051's

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Erik82
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Netherlands

Sexing my CW051's

Post by Erik82 »

Hi All,
Around November 2014 I made the picture below of the group Corydoras CW051 I have. Does someone know how many boy's and girls I have?

Regards,
Erik

Ironhead
My images: 11
My cats species list: 13 (i:6, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mountainair, New Mexico USA
Interests: Corydoras

Re: Sexing my CW051's

Post by Ironhead »

Looks like maybe 5 males & 6 females.
Mike
Erik82

Sexing my CW051's

Post by Erik82 »

Should I remove some males or would you keep the group together?
Regards,
Erik

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

I'd keep them together, but I'm no expert.
Ironhead
My images: 11
My cats species list: 13 (i:6, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mountainair, New Mexico USA
Interests: Corydoras

Post by Ironhead »

I have 15 species of corydoras...they are not all the same in their breeding specifics. I had a bit of trouble with my parallelus and poor fertility...6 m & 4 f....I believe with this specific group that there was too many males...I went to 2 m with single females...some improvement...I actually got my best results with three m and 2 f.
Cories are variable by species...some species never touch and egg or fry...some I find the lesser males follow breeders and consume anything they can find in the way of eggs.
I have not spawned cwo51s I have no direct experience.
Mike
Erik82

Post by Erik82 »

Thanks for your answers, the small once would be the males right? Maybe I try to catch one or two males and see what happens.
The Corydoras I had before I did not have any problems reproduce them.. (Adolfoi and sp. green laser CW09). For now I slower higher the temperature..
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

The only reliable way I've found to sex from my group is the shape of the ventral fins and males seem to have a slightly longer hard dorsal ray, and even then it's only a slight difference. They don't seem to fatten up as much as a lot of other species. The only one I have which gets fat, I'm not even sure if it's the same species.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Once they are mature, CW051's are fairly easy to sex via the body shape when viewed from above, otherwise check the ventral fins, males are more elongated and pointed, the females are fan shaped. Breeding this species is not an easy task, I think to date I am the only to successful breed and raise this species.
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Corycory »

My best way to sex any corys is to look at them when resting on the sand.
Males tend to lie flat on it from top to tail. Their bottom/belly touches the sand all along. Females, eggs or no eggs, have a curve and the area near the head and tail are detached from the substrate.
To be more precise, males bellies look kind of like a flat line, female bellies are in a C-shape.
Corycory

Post by Corycory »

Not the same species and I only downloaded them from internet so let me know if I need to remove them, but for example to explain what I mean by the previous comment:

I think they are corydoras adolfoi

Male:

Female:

Otherwise, if I have to guess from above from the initial picture you posted, it looks like 8-9 females to me and 2-3 males :-O
Corycory

Post by Corycory »

And gold laser corys for example:

The first pic is my own male resting on driftwood. His belly is totally flat no matter how much he eats :d

This is how a gold laser female look like:
Erik82

Post by Erik82 »

Hi All,
Recently I had the first succes in breeding CW051 succesfully. I have seen some eggs of them :D.
That was also the latest succes..... :( I'am 100% sure my species are breedding a lot, mostly at night is my opinion (first big belly later the morning empty belly). But those CW051 are hardly looking for their eggs and eating them. Since they mostly lay eggs at night when I am sleeping, the next morning the eggs are already disappeared.. Does some know a way to let them stop eating their owns eggs? Or does someone knows a good substrate in which the eggs are not reachable for the parents themselves? I tried a mob and a lot plants as breeding substrate. I think they mostly put their eggs at the window of the tank.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”