CORYDORUS LORETOENSIS

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MERLIN2
Location 1: London, U.K

CORYDORUS LORETOENSIS

Post by MERLIN2 »

Has anyone come across these at their lfs recently. I have never seen them and can only assume they are rare and hard to obtain.
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Re: CORYDORUS LORETOENSIS

Post by clothahump »

MERLIN2 wrote:Has anyone come across these at their lfs recently. I have never seen them and can only assume they are rare and hard to obtain.
It would make it easier to answer your question if we knew where in the world you are.
Just putting your Country in your profile will help others help you.
MERLIN2

Post by MERLIN2 »

LONDON, U.K
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Hi Merlin2

We don't see these little fella's very often and the identificationis not 100% but what ever their name I want more. I have 4 (2 Pair) at the moment and have found them very difficult to breed. Their requirements are: - very soft water 1 -3 GH; pH 6.0 -6.5.

Ian
MERLIN2

Post by MERLIN2 »

They are a very pretty cory - how did you come by your fish?

thanks
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

Hiyah ,...

coryman, you stoked my curiousity. since you said that ID is difficult, what are the stuff that we should be looking out for?

saw some markings on the caudal fin. Are there supposed to be certain number of vertical bars on the caudal fin? what about the dorsal fin?

thanks!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Merlin2

I picked these guys up from Pier Aquatics Wigan about two years ago and have not seen any since.

Philtre

I say not 100& on the ID because they don't match exactly to the description but very close, there are a couple of other species that look similar. The caudal baring and dorsal markings can be vary variable in many species and these are no exception. To tie a fish down as a definate species becaue of the number of spots or bars it has is a bit risky, so I prefer to be a bit more flexable.

ian
philtre

Post by philtre »

Coryman wrote: To tie a fish down as a definate species becaue of the number of spots or bars it has is a bit risky, so I prefer to be a bit more flexable.

ian
:D hahha ... nahhhh .... wasn't actually asking for the number of spots or bars. I understand that in certain species, they'll have certain characteristics like 4-7 bars on caudal fin vs 3-5 ... that kinda thing.

Actually was wondering about the characteristics that one should be looking out for in order to determine an ID. hehehe ... was just wondering if the bars on the caudal fin could be one of the examples.

cheers
:wink:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Sure they can. But you generally have to use a whole set of characters (not just one) to get an accurate id.
philtre

Post by philtre »

hehhe...I must be doing a very bad job here ....
Silurus wrote:Sure they can. But you generally have to use a whole set of characters (not just one) to get an accurate id.
yeah HH,
thought there would be a whole list of stuff to look out for.... that's why asking about which characteristics to look out for. :wink: like maybe e.g. bars on caudal fin. heheheh ... curiousity killed the cat.

:wink:
cheers
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Depends on which group of catfishes you are looking at. Color works reasonably well with some groups and very poorly with others. For cories, I would say it works reasonably well most of the time.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”