Cory Crosses

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Berger
Location 1: South Dakota

Cory Crosses

Post by Berger »

With my short time of being on this board, I've notice that crosses are really looked down uppon, whch I agree with and understand
But I have a question. I have a couple different types of cories in my tank, is there any possibility that they might cross breed on there own?
if this is covered in a different post, someone please direct me to it
Thanks
Berger
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well the risk exist yes, but it will as long as the species are genetically closely related, it has been proved since several years that not all the Corydoras species have the same number of chromosomes, so a crossbreeding between 2 species with 2 different number of chromosomes is really unlikely.
A major revision of the Genus Corydoras is underview as it is hardly possible that Corydoras hastatus Corydoras metae and Coryodras barbatus are from the same genus, crossbreeding between these Corydoras are very unlikely.

I would recommand you that if you do see eggs in your tank, you should not try to raise them especially if you have more than one species in there.

If you want to breed your Corydoras, you should setup a small tank for that purpose and isolate the Corydoras from the same species in there.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

...ive wondered is crossbreeding between longnoses and shortnoses possible? As they appear syntop in their habitats...?
cheers
Christian
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Berger
Generally Cory species do not naturally cross, but saying that there are a few species such as C. panda that are naturally isolated and the genetic barriers are either not there or are very weak. This has been seen by the reports of so many crosses between them and other members of the family.

Caol_ila
It is very unlikely that long and short nose species will cross by natural means. I dare say that with mans intervention (God forbid) it could be achieved.

Ian
Berger

Post by Berger »

Thanks guys!

I have a breeding pair of C. Aeneus in my catfish tank with some other cories. I'm hoping to have a 10g available soon to put them in, but just incase, unless I'm sure it was them that spawned, I'll remove the eggs

Berger
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

The chanses are its the C. aeneus that have spawned, they quite often spawn in comunity set ups and seem oblivious to all other tank mates.

I would collect the eggs and put then in a container and float it in the main tank, add an air stone to keep the water moving. I the eggs are viable they will hatch in four days.

What are the other cory species you have in same tank.

Ian
Berger

Post by Berger »

paleatus is my other group.

Thanks for the advice!

Berger
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well I doubt it will be any sort of problem, I really doubt these 2 can crossbreed!
Corydoras paleatus are also a rather easy species to spawn especially if the water is cool.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”